Search
Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

googlemaps, GEDCOM errors, Add a wife, contact links, progress, click, lists, beta, fact, users, IE problem, 7.2, validation, kiwitrees-nova, footer, performance, Require visitor authentication, advent, surname, edit interface, GDBR, style, hover, css, inactive, error, edit menu, block, admin, 3.1.1, default individual, html, translation, zoom, 2.0.2, reports, 7.0, request, upgrade, danish, ckeditor, fancy image bar, defacto, Themes change, FAQ, github, follow, bug, gender change, custom modules, advanced, permissions, json, tab, cousins, CHR, multiple marriages, save settings, ID facts, place

Tagged: 

Topic:   Wording of “No children”  

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  magenta 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author

magenta
      Participant

5 posts

Hello Nigel
      Wondering what file I need to alter if I want to change the wording of ‘No children’ in the
      ‘Immediate Family’ view. I want to change it to something like ‘Number of children unknown. To contribute information, please use the email address at bottom of page’.
      Thanks
      Marion

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1656 posts

I can help, I think, but what will you do when the number of children really is none, and you know that for a fact?

Thats why the wording is what it is – its deliberately ambiguous.

Nigel

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

magenta
      Participant

5 posts

Hi Nigel
      The vast majority of the families I’m recording had children. In instances where I’m sure that the were no children in a family I’ll settle for the ‘number of children’ or ‘note’ tag to indicate that the couple were childless, in return for the cessation of email messages telling me that I’m wrong when I state that there were ‘no children’.

I can play with the wording. Perhaps ‘This family had EITHER no known children OR the existence of children has not been researched. Please use the email address below to contribute information’.

regards
      Marion

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1656 posts

OK. You have two ways to change this – the good and the bad. I suspect you will want to use the ‘bad’, but I’m going to recommend against it anyway J

1 – The ‘right’ (good) way to change ANY language variable is to use a “Custom translation” file. Detailed instructions are at http://wiki.webtrees.net/Custom_Translation  It’s a fairly simple process, but if you go this way, just let me know if you have any problems.

The benefits are:

It will survive every software upgrade we do

You can create similar files for other languages so the phrase is translated into all or any of the languages you have available on your site

The problems are:

The same phrase is used in a couple of places, and these may not all warrant the full length of text you are proposing (e.g. in the sidebar “Descendents” panel, and Descendancy charts). There is no way to change a single phrase in a single location using this feature. I would therefore recommend something simple like “No recorded children”, or “No children currently recorded”. Alternatively, consider simply changing the text to “” (blank); – say nothing if you know nothing!

2 – The “bad” way is to go straight to the core code used on the family page.

This WILL get over-written every time we upgrade (which is likely to be every 4-6 weeks on average).

You cannot translate such non-standard texts into any other language.

To do this the text is in the file /includes/functions/functions_charts.php; at line 262:

echo WT_I18N::translate(‘No children’);

Change that to something like:

echo WT_I18N::translate(‘This family had EITHER no known children OR the existence of children has not been researched. Please use the email address below to contribute information’);

Keep a careful note of the change (although future upgrades might change the location of the text) and remember to re-do the change each time we notify you of an upgrade.

While on the subject of languages, I see you allow the full default set on the site, but don’t use “Australian”! You perhaps were not aware it existed. It is not greatly different from British English, but reasonably different from US English. I can add it for you if you wish.

On my site I only load the three English variants (US, EN, AUS), as I have no (and don’t expect to have any) non-English speakers involved. I set one of these three as appropriate for each user in their personal account details, so they get to use the right one.

Keeping the number of languages in use short does simplify a number of things, but especially the use of custom translations.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel

magenta
      Participant

5 posts

Hi Nigel
      Thanks for the info. I see now that it’s not as simple as I thought! Here’s plan B: do it the ‘good’ way but keep the wording simple. How about changing ‘No children’ to ‘Children’. With that wording, the user can see at once that there are no children listed underneath plus I’m not claiming that there are ‘no children’ (if you know what I mean…). How do you think this change of wording would sit in the other places where the term is used?
      cheers
      Marion

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1656 posts

I just noticed that I rather unfairly did omit one fact about option 2 (the ‘bad’ way)…

If you do that, then it will ONLY change the text in the one place you want. I still don’t recommend it, but at least you have the facts to help decide.

Nigel

magenta
      Participant

5 posts

Hi Nigel
      As you suspected I would, I’ve done it the ‘bad’ way. I settled for ‘Children unresearched’. Will see how this goes and maybe change to the ‘good’ way if it gets to be a nuisance with upgrades.

Thanks for the info too about Australian language option, and yes, I’ll take you up on that offer to add it.
      best
      Marion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wording of “No children”’ is closed to new replies.