Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

button, resources, feedback, research tasks, performance, PHP, links, F.A.B., future, php 5.6, google, 3.0.0 widgets, bug reporting, locked out, husband, release, users, marriage, colors, margin, 3.3.2, dates, xmas, Administration, pdf, notes, widget, prefix, descendants, Search and replace, Export/Import, kiwitrees, GEDCOM, add_asso_facts, places, gender change, address, advent, reports, census, search, 3.1, 7.1, database, order, 7.0, repo, Favourites, internal messaging, Canada, bug, Google Maps, 5.6, blank screem, contact, login, dead, lists, follow, installation

Tagged: 

Topic:   Translations case sensitive?  

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      grebjiem
      grebjiem
      Participant

116 posts

On the familie tab there is the option to re-order children.
      In the translation files it is Re-order children, but it is shown as Re-Order Children,every word with a capital.
      If you click the option, the page Re-order children is opened.(Just one capital). I thought the translation files were case sensitive?

In the translation files there is also Re-order families, but I couldn’t find this line on the family tab or family page. Could be the same as re-order children.

Re-order media has a line on the page with explanation:Click a row, then drag-and-drop to re-order media
      Maybe add this to the pages re-order children and re-order families?

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1595 posts

On the familie tab there is the option to re-order children.
      In the translation files it is Re-order children, but it is shown as Re-Order Children,every word with a capital.
      If you click the option, the page Re-order children is opened.(Just one capital). I thought the translation files were case sensitive?

In the translation files there is also Re-order families, but I couldn’t find this line on the family tab or family page. Could be the same as re-order children.

You do ask some interesting (but very good) questions 🙂

The issue here is a cross-over between translations and css. The original text, used of translations, is “Re-order children” and “Re-order families”. But yes, translations do require exact matches (case sensitive, format sensitive, space sensitive, etc….)
      But there is a complication. In the past there has been an attempt to standardise words and phrases for two reasons:
      1 – not all languages / cultures use capitals in the same way
      2 – Some words and phrases are used in different places across the system. Sometimes at the start of a sentence, sometimes in the middle, sometimes stand-alone.

So a decision was made (before kiwitrees, and without any opportunity for debate) to standardise (almost) entirely on lower case for labels. The result is often like this:

Screenshot-2016-07-15-09.53.17

In kiwitrees I have tried to compensate for that result by using the css “text-transform: capitalize;” function. I think it is an improvement, but happy to hear alternative views. It makes the same look like this:

Screenshot-2016-07-15-09.57.16

The main problem with css is that it is not possible to create “sentence case” (Re-order children) only full capitalisation of all words, or not.

Re-order media has a line on the page with explanation:Click a row, then drag-and-drop to re-order media
      Maybe add this to the pages re-order children and re-order families?

Agreed. Done. I have also done the same for the “Re-order families” option.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.