Search
Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

HTML block, design, index, gender change, users, Administration, timeout, special character, zoom, repo, dates, message contactform, 3.2.1, survey, 3.2.0, emmigration, contacts, order, events of close relatives, progress, roadmap, click, prefix, research, edit menu, translation, updates, margin, CREM, configure, webtrees 1.4.4.1, data errors, simpl_research, mystyle, pop-ups, logs, 7.2, check, php 7, block, spouse, error, burial, set link, kiwitrees, lists individuals families, 3.1, clippings cart, danish, watermark, tags, github, add missing death, links, 7.0, 5.6, flags, 1939 Register, 3.1.1, 7.1

Topic:   Themes  

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

466 posts

Hope I’m in the right forum for this post.

Read about the new themes being developed. I do ask that at least one gives consideration for accessibility for those with vision problems. Colour contrast, font weight, size and choice of fonts most especially.

-----
      [updated: 01 Apr 2018]
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Safari  11.1;  Firefox 59.0.2

PHP 7.1 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56

Kiwitrees:
      "The Royals 3.3.3 (03)" <royals.rbcsolutions.ca>

"Rebbes of Ger 3.3.3 (03)" <private>

"Uncle Ummie's Journal 3.3.3 (03)" <private>

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1660 posts

I disagree. I hope they ALL do.

But how to you define those things on your list? You can’t just hope without detailing exactly what you hope for. That would make it almost inevitable that I’ll fail.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

466 posts

There are official guidelines for accessibility and websites, one being for vision. Not sure how they differ from country to country. It’s not my intention to have the themes for me, it’s for any user who has issues.

Colour contrast/font weight >> Having font colour of font that has contrast to background. (I’ve use a website that had purple menu background and bold blue type — 100% useless to me and thousands of others that use the site (it’s a corporate site)
      Weight – some fonts are too “delicate” used in large amounts of text. The one in the image is great in both regular and bold as shown.
      Sizing – a tough issue that’s existed for as long as I’ve been online! Complicated by the platform used as sizing from Mac to PC and browser to browser varies. The standard I’ve seen uses the option for user to choose what’s best for them. (Not sure of proper terminology). That’s one way and far more complex I’m sure. But, for kiwitrees, it would be not having font sizing below certain sizes (generalization at this point). That’s why I’ve used the “Colors” theme. The colour contrast and font sizing is easy for me to see. Not implying that this theme should remain just an example of accessibility as I see it. (pun).

-----
      [updated: 01 Apr 2018]
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Safari  11.1;  Firefox 59.0.2

PHP 7.1 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56

Kiwitrees:
      "The Royals 3.3.3 (03)" <royals.rbcsolutions.ca>

"Rebbes of Ger 3.3.3 (03)" <private>

"Uncle Ummie's Journal 3.3.3 (03)" <private>

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1660 posts

To add a little more detail (it was getting late when responding previously)….

As you will have read in the blog posts about kiwitrees-nova, I am building it on a framework called “Foundation (ver 6+)” I aim to make full use of its very extensive built-in design components. Among those tools are checks for conformity with WCAG 2.0. (“Web Content Accessibility Guidelines”).

Those guidelines have three “conformity levels”: A, AA, and AAA. Foundation’s, and therefore my commitment is to maintain conformity at level AA. Full details on what this means can be read at https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ with perhaps a simpler summary on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Content_Accessibility_Guidelines

A typical example of the guidelines is in text colour contrasts. When I was creating the latest of the three themes my initial colour choices threw up constant warning messages in my development system about “inadequate contrast levels”. The system expects contrast to be at least 1:4.5 for normal text and 3:1 for large text if I am going to avoid these errors (only seen during development). So I adjusted the colours until the errors disappeared.

More details about the framework’s accessibility principles are here: https://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/accessibility.html

Hopefully, this background will provide some confidence in the direction kiwitrees-nova is taking. But it is valuable to have someone like you able to provide practical feedback on progress in this area, in ways most of us would struggle to recognise. So don’t hesitate to remind me when something can be improved.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
    Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.