Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

road map, fatal error, media_links, 3.1.1, colors, upgrade, footer, flags, access level, GEDCOM, fancy tree view, translation, xenea, tab, custom, responsive menus, chart, Themes change, mystyle, tools, sanity checker, defacto, cousins, Histo, My Page, survey, MAC, locked out, 2.0.2, language, users, 1939 Register, image, family, CREM, latest version, redirect, I18N, dates, set link, getClientIp, pop-ups, beta, add, dropbox. token, repo, emigration, datatables, zend, album, illegitimate, messaging, pdf, pages, title, nickname, search, Relationship, 3.2.0, configure

Topic:   Stories  

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

539 posts

I see I can link more than one person to a story.. I tried using filter to select the person and double-clicked the name. The filter window closes but the person’s number doesn’t show

However, if I enter the name in the “yellowed” field, it does add the person.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.0 (rev)"
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 10.1.1 (11603.2.5);  Firefox 53.0.2
      [updated: 22 May 2017]

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

It works OK for me. Potentially a browser or MAC issue though. Can you detail the EXACT steps you took that failed, one at a time so I can check I’m reproducing what you did. The I’ll try it in other browsers.

Once we eliminate user error, and browser differences, we’ll be left with operating system issues (MAC vs PC).

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

539 posts

STORIES tab
      at the bottom where it allows you to link individuals I clicked “add another individual”.
      I clicked the icon to search for the person
      I clicked the person’s name expecting the window to close with that person’s id in place A123 (I don’t use the I)
      Field is empty.

If I click “Add another individual” and in the field type the name, the name appears or drop down if there’s more than one match. In other words, it does the search without the extra step of clicking the icon (the male).

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

Great. Those steps are all ok, and as I say, work correctly for me.

As you’ve found auto-complete (signified by yellow boxes throughout the system) is faster and (IMHO) easier to use. At some point I’d like to get rid of the old ‘filter’ popups. But that’s not relevant here. the filter option is there and should work.

I’ll investigate later, perhaps tomorrow now. It’s unlikely, but possible, it is hard-coded to use “I” and ignore your “A”. That shouldn’t be the case, and I’m pretty sure it isn’t, but I’ll check.

Does the filter option work OK in other places?

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

539 posts

i like not having to use filter as it’s an extra step. The autocomplete method is what I prefer. So, as it does work this way, fine. And if it works the other way for you, I assume that means it’s not broken so not major concern. Main objective is to add individuals (a feature I didn’t know was added, as I had stories off for a long time).

As for “A” over “I” – I’ve always used right from the very start. “I” isn’t good as it is too close to the number 1 and easily mistaken for that. Even for my Royals, I changed to “Q”.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

And if it works the other way for you, I assume that means it’s not broken so not major concern.

Still a concern for me though. If it doesn’t work for any one person (and we’ve eliminated user error), it’s broken. However, perhaps it’s time to get rid of it throughout the system rather than fix it. It is a bit 1990’s 🙂

As for “A” over “I” – I’ve always used right from the very start. “I” isn’t good as it is too close to the number 1 and easily mistaken for that. Even for my Royals, I changed to “Q”.

Perfectly logical. I often think I should do the same, but I so rarely use those xref’s now it matters less and less to me.

Main objective is to add individuals (a feature I didn’t know was added, as I had stories off for a long time).

Glad you found it. In case you also missed it, you can add multiple stories to one individual as well as multiple individuals to one story (and mix both if you really need to!)
      There’s also a very nice addition to the story edit menu (second to last icon, middle row) that automates the addition of “proper” footnotes in each story if you are into a more technical / academic writing style. I have one client who requested that and uses it extensively. He also has two or three different language versions of each of his stories, so making really good use of the feature.

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

539 posts

XREFS all the way 🙂

Stories – will investigate footnotes. Maybe will use for sources as that’s not not part of stories. Multiple stories will be good when I find the indis that I wanted to use this for. (On some records, I had the story within the fact/feature because I turned off Stories, can’t remember why).

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

On some records, I had the story within the fact/feature because I turned off Stories, can’t remember why

Perhaps because of the one major flaw in the stories concept – it is not part of the GEDCOM data. So it will never be included in any GEDCOM export, download or clippings cart.

For anyone who worries about that, I recommend writing stories offline, convert to PDF, then upload as part of a source.

Nigel
    Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.