Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

formatting, random_media, widget, source, shared note, 3.2.0, prefix, responsive menus, colors, cousin tab, abbreviate, Themes change, Default record, login, prison, design, Favourites 3.0.0, fancy image bar, sidebar, timeout, updates, order, blocks, error, tree, privacy, spouse, burial, events of close relatives, merge, 3.0.0. setup, GEDCOM, transifex, errors, tools, charts, missing data, Administration, access roles, 7.0, sanity, seo, GEDCOM errors, marriage, logout, dead, upgrade, simpl_research, fancy tree view, watermark, custom, styles, add missing death, individual resource, NCHI, message contactform, 3.1, kiwitrees theme, .mo, BURI

Topic:   SQL tables  

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

462 posts

I have two family trees that were always together (one install of webtrees,kiwitrees) and brought them over to kiwitrees 3.3.3 new domain.com site as one. I now realize, they shouldn’t be together as I want to make one public and keep one private. Former will go with my Royals, latter with my personal family tree.

The GEDCOMs are separate, the SQL tables aren’t, the hostname is one but that’s easy enough to fix by creating another.

If “sqltrees1” is the database in question, could I clone it and have tree1 use what it needs and “sqltrees2” (clone) use what it needs? Tree1 has a couple of hundred records; Tree2 about a couple of thousand.

-----
      [updated: 01 Apr 2018]
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Safari  11.1;  Firefox 59.0.2

PHP 7.1 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56

Kiwitrees:
      "The Royals 3.3.3 (03)" <royals.rbcsolutions.ca>

"Rebbes of Ger 3.3.3 (03)" <private>

"Uncle Ummie's Journal 3.3.3 (03)" <private>

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1643 posts

There are a couple of ways to do this.

(1) By far the easiest solution, with the least amount of ongoing maintenance and cheapest (storage costs money), is to leave it as it is. Use one kiwitrees installation and one database containing both trees. It is easy then to have one tree public and one private. Having two trees on one site gives more options for privacy than just one. Kiwitrees must have one public tree to function at all. Without that no-one can register, menus can’t exist etc etc.. But second trees can be completely hidden. Just ensure that no users have permission to edit the private tree (set in their user account details) and the private tree won’t appear to anyone other than you (and any other administrators if you have them). Not on the Home Menu item or anywhere else they can see.

(2) If you really want two separate installations and databases, then your suggestion to clone the DB (and link each via their respective config.ini.php details) is part of the solution.
      They don’t actually need to be separate databases though, just different table prefixes would be sufficient. But either will work. However, don’t leave both sets of data in both databases. Once set up, delete the GEDCOM you don’t need in each case. (Administration > Family trees > Manage family trees > Delete tree).That will remove all associated data for that tree from that database.

What you can not have is either one installation of kiwitrees linked to two databases, or one database linked to two installations of kiwitrees.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
    Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.