Search
Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

Themes change, .po, lists, edit menu, not married, title, styles, pop-ups, 7.2, descendant, 7.0, seo, 3.1, administration pages, release, save settings, ID notes, editor, search, widget, clippings cart, edit interface, webtrees 1.4.4.1, message contactform, close, xmas, missing data, future, duplicates, married, 3.2.2, type, repo, 3.1.1, relationships, login failure, FAQ, 5.6, nickname, contact links, slideshow, design, 3.0.0, custom modules, census assistant, road map, living, research tasks, users, special character, family fact, upgrade, place, kiwitrees-nova, spam, illegitimate, Google Maps, My Page, google, support

Tagged: 

Topic:   Problem upgrading to version 3.3.4  

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jamesl 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1679 posts

I completed the installation and imported a gedcom file. Everything seems to work correctly.

Great. That confirms that kiwitrees and your system are working OK. However, you still have the original problem. Something is preventing the global variable “KT_USER_ID” from being read. Every other case like this has been due to the fact that variable has been changed in kiwitrees from “WT_USER_ID”, and that has been due to session storage, either in the database or in cookies on the browser. We appear to have exhausted both of those possibilities.

You could try a search across the database, in all the original kiwitrees tables, using PhpMyAdmin for the term “WT_USER_ID” to see if it remains anywhere. Let me know what you find. Some examples might be more relevant here than others.

The only snag I encountered during the installation was that I had to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost for the host URL.

Localhost vs 127.0.0.1 is related to your local web server config. It can be changed. This link might help – https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/269365/why-cant-browsers-resolve-localhost

I checked the folder permissions on the version I installed using my previous data folder, and they seem to be OK, so this doesn’t explain the error messages I was getting.

Permissions were never going to be the cause of the original error.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

jamesl
      Participant

32 posts

No luck with the search for WT_USER_ID in the database – zero matches.

I did try one other trick – for the 3.3.4 version which I installed from scratch, I modified the configuration file to point to my old kiwitrees database instead of the new one, created from scratch. As one might expect, the result was that I got the error messages again. At least this does seem to indicate that the problem is with the database somewhere, and not related to cookies.

Maybe I could try importing tables one by one from the old database into the new one, until something breaks. A bit tedious, but it should reveal which table is causing the problem.

Thanks for the link for the localhost issue.

James

jamesl
      Participant

32 posts

I made some progress with the 3.3.4 version which I installed from scratch. I imported several gedcom files and most things seem to work. I imported kt_placelocation table from my old database and Google Maps displays events at their correct location.

However, I do still have a number of problems, as follows:

1. Choosing a gedcom from the “Home” menu produces a URL of the form:
        http://localhost/~james/kiwitrees-3.3.4/index.php?amp;ged=loveluck
        which has to be corrected by hand to:
        http://localhost/~james/kiwitrees-3.3.4/index.php?ged=loveluck
      2. Welcome Note and News blocks are not included on Home page.
        I tried importing tables from V3.2.3:
        kt-news – imported correctly after dropping default table
        kt_block_settings, kt_block – import gave error message
        #1062 – Duplicate entry ‘1’ for key ‘PRIMARY’
      3. I then tried setting default blocks by hand.
        Administration – Family tree tools – Set the default blocks
        Only “Home”, “On this day”, “Statistics”, “Who is online” are listed in “Available blocks”
        (not “”Charts”, “Favourites”, “HTML”, “Recent changes” …)
        Tried the following:
        Administration – Modules – Blocks
        Changed “news” settings to “Show to visitors” (was previously “Hide from everyone”)
        Then returned to “Set the default blocks”. “News” does now appear in “Available blocks”.
        Added it to “Main section blocks” and – Save
        News still does not appear on Home page, and when I return to “Set the default blocks”, it is not listed in “Main section blocks”
        Tried modifying table kt_block by hand in phpMyAdmin.
        Changed gedcom_id from -1 to 1 in a gedcom_news row (there were several)
        The News block did then appear on the Home page, but I wasn’t able to change the order on the page (place it before “Statistics”).
      4. Administration – Site administration – Server usage
        gives a blank page
      5. Administration – Tools
        Only 6 tools listed, against 15 for V3.2.3

Any help much appreciated.

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1679 posts

I made some progress with the 3.3.4 version which I installed from scratch. I imported several gedcom files and most things seem to work. I imported kt_placelocation table from my old database and Google Maps displays events at their correct location.

Some of those issues are normal setup requirements for a new site, others relate to the risks of tinkering with tables directly. In general, I advise against that, though there are a couple of “safe” exceptions. But many tables are interlinked and cannot be touched without knowing how the linkages work.

To address each issue…
      1. Choosing a Gedcom from the “Home” menu produces a URL of the form
      Thanks for that. It is a bug not previously reported. To fix replace the file kiwitrees/library/KT/MenuBar.php with the one in the zip folder attached below here.
      Items 2,3, and 5
      I lot of features are disabled on initial installation. This is to avoid overwhelming new users. Instead, a commonly used set of default modules are enabled and configured in a “standard” way common to many first installs. Later, or once install is complete for experienced users, more modules can be enabled (Administration > Modules > Manage modules), their access levels and (in some cases) positioning set in the appropriate page (the other options under Administration > Modules)

The Administration > Tools list of 15 you mention is a good example. I suspect you never used a good many of those. So now you don’t have them adding to the clutter, but can add any if you want them.

4. Administration – Site administration – Server usage
      It is working on most sites I’ve seen, but it can be slow to load. It’s not something designed for regular use. It was actually added primarily for kiwitrees-hosted clients where database and storage use are factors in their annual hosting charges.

Check your kiwitrees and/or server logs to see if an error was generated. My first guess would be a time-out of some sort,

Nigel
      Attachments:

jamesl
      Participant

32 posts

Hello Nigel,

Thanks for the menu bar fix, which works fine, and for the advice about enabling modules, etc. I think I used to be familiar with this stuff, but I’d forgotten how everything worked. I couldn’t find a tutorial on this subject.

I can now configure most features I need, but one thing escapes me. I used to have two sets of “Pages”, one for a list of “What’s New” items, and one for “Links to related web sites”. However, I don’t see how to have two instances of ‘Pages”

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1679 posts

… and for the advice about enabling modules, etc. I think I used to be familiar with this stuff, but I’d forgotten how everything worked. I couldn’t find a tutorial on this subject.

It’s on my “to do” list 🙂

I can now configure most features I need, but one thing escapes me. I used to have two sets of “Pages”, one for a list of “What’s New” items, and one for “Links to related web sites”. However, I don’t see how to have two instances of ‘Pages”

• Duplicate the folder kiwitrees/modules_v4/pages, giving it a new name.
      • In the module.php file of the new folder, change the reference near the top of the code (can’t give you the exact line number just now) to “pages_KT_Module…..” substituting “pages” with your new folders exact name.
      • In the same file you can optionally change the title and description, which can help when administering the second item later.
      • Visit Administration > Modules > Manage modules to enable the new module, them set access levels, position etc.
      Nigel

jamesl
      Participant

32 posts

Thanks Nigel for the hints on using several “Pages” modules. Works fine.
      As I said, I must have done this before, because I had two sets of “Pages” with the old version – amazing how one forgets how to do things that are not habitual.

I’ve pretty much completed the installation of Kiwitrees 3.3.4 on my local system now, so maybe we should close this thread. I still have to do the upgrade on my web site, which may be tricky because I only have one database available, but I’ll backup the sql database and any useful tables, and then do the installation from scratch, as I did on my local system

Thanks again for all your help.

James

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.