Authorjamesl
Last activity5 months ago
StatusOpen
Replies21
Voices2
Participantsjamesl, kiwi
Actions
Tags

custom text, contacts, fancy image bar, kiwitrees 2.0.2, dropbox. token, release, edit menu, timeout, login upgrade, administration pages, fancy tree view, batch update, custom modules, themes, calendar.php issue, 3.1.1, 5.6, json, colors, beta, defacto, server, help, CHR, last change date, login failure, flags, notes, tags, sanity, menus, sidebar, dates, F.A.B., Advanced search, translation, 3.0.0. setup, 2.0, tree, living, formatting, family fact, permissions, contact links, Export/Import, GEDCOM, Administration, widget, research tasks, version, 3.3.1, 3.2.0, add missing death, blank, MAC, margin, ckeditor, redirect, ID notes, type

Kiwitrees on Twitter

Tagged: 

Topic:   Problem upgrading to version 3.3.4  

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar jamesl 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Hello all,

I’ve been running Kiwitrees 3.2.3 on a server on my local machine (an iMac), and attempted to upgrade to version 3.3.4.
      I followed the recommended procedure for an iMac (download the files to a new folder, copy the data folder from the old installation to the new one, rename the folders so that the new version is called kiwitrees). However, when I tried to acces kiwitrees, I got the following error messages:

ERROR 8: Use of undefined constant KT_USER_ID – assumed ‘KT_USER_ID’
      0 Error occurred on line 156 of file Tree.php in function getAll
      1 called from line 167 of file Tree.php in function get
      2 called from line 1317 of file functions_db.php in function set_gedcom_setting
      3 called from line 43 of file db_schema_5_6.php in function require
      4 called from line 253 of file DB.php in function updateSchema
      5 called from line 276 of file session.php in function require
      6 called from line 25 of file index.php

ERROR 8: Use of undefined constant KT_USER_ID – assumed ‘KT_USER_ID’
      0 Error occurred on line 156 of file Tree.php in function getAll
      1 called from line 167 of file Tree.php in function get
      2 called from line 1317 of file functions_db.php in function set_gedcom_setting
      3 called from line 43 of file db_schema_5_6.php in function require
      4 called from line 253 of file DB.php in function updateSchema
      5 called from line 276 of file session.php in function require
      6 called from line 25 of file index.php

ERROR 8: Undefined offset: 3
      0 Error occurred on line 168 of file Tree.php in function get
      1 called from line 1317 of file functions_db.php in function set_gedcom_setting
      2 called from line 43 of file db_schema_5_6.php in function require
      3 called from line 253 of file DB.php in function updateSchema
      4 called from line 276 of file session.php in function require
      5 called from line 25 of file index.php

Anyone got any ides as to what went wrong?

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

Hi James

See https://kiwitrees.net/faqs/introduction/upgrade-kiwitrees/
      In particular comments on “Upgrading to kiwitrees 3.3.2”

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Thanks for the prompt reply Nigel.

In the comments on “Upgrading to kiwitrees 3.3.2” I’m not sure what is meant by “Logout, close your browser and log back in”, since I’m running on my local machine. I did close the browser and re-open it; I also cleared the cache, but I still got the same error messages when I tried to open kiwitrees.
      I do have Webtrees installed as well as Kiwitrees. Is it possible that Kiwitrees is confused by the Webtrees tables?

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

You need to actually log out of kiwitrees, not just close the browser. The logout option is under your user name above the main menu.

I’m not sure what is meant by “Logout, close your browser and log back in”, since I’m running on my local machine.

It means the same on a local machine as a web-based installation.

Is it possible that Kiwitrees is confused by the Webtrees tables?

No, it is not possible. They may be in the same database, but the tables are unique to each system due to different prefixes.

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

I’m not sure how I can log out of kiwitrees, since I don’t reach the kiwitrees home page. I did log out of the old version of kiwitrees before renaming the folders.

I went trough the process of quitting the browser, logging out and logging back in, but I still got the same error messages.

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

Odd. Perhaps it is related to skipping so many versions. Not sure. But we need to try something more drastic 🙂

Close your browser.
      In your database find the kiwitrees “xxx_session” table. (where xxx is the prefix you use to differentiate between kiwitrees and webtrees tables). Make sure it is the kiwitrees one! Delete all the rows in that table.

Now try restarting your browser

EDIT: You will probably need your browser open to access the database! But closer it after modifying the table, then restart it to access kiwitrees.

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

I did this, PhpMyAdmin now reports “empty result set (i.e. zero rows)” for kt_session.
      but still got the same result when I try to open kiwitrees.

James

jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Note that I needed to have my browser running to use PhpMyAdmin

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

OK, so something in your setup is really holding on to session data. Can you clear cookies from your browser? If unsure let me know what browser and I can guide you.

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

I’m using Firefox. I cleared the cache and cookies (Preferences -> Cookies and Site Data -> Clear Data), quit Firefox, logged out, logged in again, opened Firefox and tried to access Kiwitrees -> same error messages.

I’m very embarrassed, it seems like I’m the only person who regularly has problems with upgrades.

By the way, I’m using a fairly old version of Php (version 5.6.30). I don’t know whether this could be significant.

Thanks a lot for your attempts to sort out the problem.

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

PHP 5.6 should be fine. If it was a “live” site I would strongly urge you to update that. But on a local machine its not so important.

I shall take a look on my site using Firefox tomorrow just in case its something I’ve missed in testing.

Meanwhile, as its just local, can you try a completely fresh install of 3.3.4, new code, new empty database, import your Gedcom file from scratch? Not as a permanent alternative, just to eliminate the uograde process.

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Thanks for the suggesiton. I tried this – installed the downloaded files in a new directory, renamed to kiwitrees, pointed my browser at this directory and the file setup.php opened but just blocked!

I turned on the Web Developer tools, but there were no messages in the console.

I checked that no files were missing by comparing the list of files on the new installation with that from my previous installation.

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

What about the web server error logs? It’s possible you have error logging disabled. If so enable it and try the install again. Sorry I can’t help much with how to enable it on your particulat set up.

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Good idea! I looked at the Apache error log and there were indeed some errors, which looked like permission issues.

I’d thought that since I’d just been renaming directories, the permissions would be OK, but this was not the case for the kiwitrees/data directory.
      I changed the permissions on this, and the setup proceeded normally (I didn’t complete the procedure yet).
      Maybe the same issue was causing the problem with the upgrade of the existing installation.

jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

I completed the installation and imported a gedcom file. Everything seems to work correctly. The only snag I encountered during the installation was that I had to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost for the host URL.

I checked the folder permissions on the version I installed using my previous data folder, and they seem to be OK, so this doesn’t explain the error messages I was getting.

James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.