Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

repo, custom modules, feedback, 3.2.3, cousins, husband, Support/Bug Reporting, access level, Extra menus, IE11, php 5.6, backup, burial, 500, fact, add, media_links, 3.3.0, dropbox. token, message contactform, roadmap, translate, ASSO, flags, theme, logs, bug reporting, advanced, 2.0.2, blocks, individual resource, birth, folder, nickname, GEDCOM errors, errors, Add a wife, MYSQL, save settings, mystyle, Batch Updates, source, access roles, transifex, hover, installation, icons, .po, set link, emmigration, design, survey, defacto, colors, 3.2.0, Histo, dates, CREM, kiwitrees, future

Topic:   (Off topic) Relatives  

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by macalter macalter 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

536 posts

I got an email from the wife of my cousin (1st). Her son is doing a school project and wants information on “aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. who they are, birth, where and stuff like that. As an aside, I don’t have info on this wife, my cousin’s second marriage, so it would only be his family (my side).

My inclination is that if you cannot view the details as a guest, then it’s not available for use in your school project. There are not only privacy laws in the province and country, I as the administrator am bound to uphold privacy of all living relatives (or recently deceased <72 years). Besides, if I as your first cousin wouldn’t want to find my name in your report, I have no way of knowing how your other cousins, etc feel. Most of our aunts/uncles are deceased but fall within the less than 72 year time frame.

Opinion?

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.0 (rev)"
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 10.1.1 (11603.2.5);  Firefox 53.0.2
      [updated: 22 May 2017]

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1449 posts

An interesting question.

I’m probably a bit more liberally inclined than you. I would also add into the list of things to consider the benefit of encouraging a youngster to become interested in their family history.I think it’s also good that schools are encouraging it, though it would be good if they included teaching about privacy!

But I’m not sure how “public” a school project would be. Probably not very. Apart from the teacher, and fellow pupils I don’t see this getting much of an audience. Perhaps the other parents?

As for the 72 year rule, I can’t really comment as I know nothing about your local laws. But from experiences here, and talking to people from other countries, those rules usually don’t actually (legally) apply to us “normal folk” going about our everyday life as amateur family historians. They are primarily targeted at government agencies and restricting what they can make public, when, and to whom. But it’s not unusual for genealogists to ascribe a wider meaning to the rules to protect themselves from potential liability – unnecessarily in my opinion.

There is another way to look at this. If your cousin (or even his wife, or their child perhaps) expressed an interest in your work, and asked to register for access to your site, perhaps even offered to help with research (with no reference to any school project) would you have given it? I know that I most certainly would as I’m always keen to encourage family to take an interest. That’s why I have 100+ members on my site, of varying but generally low levels of activity. But, I also know that once I give that access, I have given up control over what they do with what they find on the site. But I vet who they are very strongly, and spell out my expectations very clearly, so I am comfortable with the situation.

So I guess my answer is that I would give the youngster what they need, but perhaps with some friendly words of advice about how to use it responsibly, and perhaps even a suggestion they get in touch with any still-living ancestors and ask their permission to use their details (though I probably wouldn’t go that far myself).

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

536 posts

Read your reply and came up with “compromise”. The email gave little details and I felt I didn’t want the site harvested without understanding of what information is there, respecting privacy and while I don’t even know her last name as my cousin wouldn’t provide any information when he did view the site and my email made note of “joint collaboration”. Plus he’d never know how to produce reports, such as they are.

Offline, Reunion provided a relationship report (great- relatives and down to 2nd cousins). Starting with designated person, it gives direct/indirect relatives (configurable) and I can opt for the details provided. Listed name, birth, place, death, place of relatives but “private” where person was living. Not much different than many genealogy sites.

Yes, it’s interesting that such a project is being done but I almost had to close down the site once and am very protective now of the data. Asked if she’d update me on what form the project takes. Let’s see….

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1449 posts

Offline, Reunion provided a relationship report (great- relatives and down to 2nd cousins). Starting with designated person, it gives direct/indirect relatives (configurable) and I can opt for the details provided. Listed name, birth, place, death, place of relatives but “private” where person was living. Not much different than many genealogy sites.

I don’t know what the Reunion one looks like, but I think the equivalent in kiwitrees is Reports > Related Individuals. It has what sounds like similar configurations. Good news: it’s one re-written as “Resources > Related individuals in the next release (available later today, NZ time). But I suspect the Interactive Chart may be a better option. Youngsters generally like graphical displays better 🙂

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

536 posts

The quick look at your report (seen in the upgrade details) isn’t the same. Guess I used wrong term: the report I generated was Relatives. In the attached, every column can be configured to show whatever field I’ve set. So, could be their name, birth, death, parents, spouse, marriage — whatever I want. It then marks each of those records in what’s called the family view (think of default F&E both with male/female showing) with their designated relationship. So, if I looked at John Jr’s record, it would show “son”.

jfk

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Attachments:
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

536 posts

The quick look at your report (seen in the upgrade details) isn’t the same. Guess I used wrong term: the report I generated was Relatives. In the attached, every column can be configured to show whatever field I’ve set. So, could be their name, birth, death, parents, spouse, marriage — whatever I want. It then marks each of those records in what’s called the family view (think of default F&E both with male/female showing) with their designated relationship. So, if I looked at John Jr’s record, it would show “son”.

jfk-1

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Attachments:
    Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.