Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

autocomplete, cousin tab, burial, .po, re-order, 3.2.2, getClientIp, MYSQL, simpl_grey, reports, Favourites 3.0.0, cousins, 3.0.0 widgets, ASSO, admin, Default record, illegitimate, contacts, Batch Updates, census assistant, dropbox. token, charts, Require visitor authentication, access roles, delete, php 7, ckeditor, name, pop-ups, webtrees 1.4.4.1, tabs, calendar, descendant, blocks, simpl_pages, error, tools, roadmap, xmas, IE problem, children, edit, individual resource, F.A.B., events of close relatives, logout, not married, custom text, batch update, editor, message contactform, slideshow, icons, menus, add_asso_facts, margin, emmigration, ID notes, lists, 1939 Register

Topic:   mystyle.css on simpl_pages  

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Pottsy
      Pottsy
      Participant

48 posts

Hi Nigel, My versions of simpl_pages are not looking for mystyle.css in my selected themes folder. Do I need to update these pages or copy mystyle.css to their folders?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

As per previous discussion, you need to update your versions of simpl_pages module.php files to match the code now used by the standard version, and to ensure all unnecessary sub-folders are removed from their theme folders, also to match the standard version.

When I mentioned this before you thought you had found a simple alternative – but you do need to properly update them.

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Pottsy
      Pottsy
      Participant

48 posts

Thanks Nigel. 🙂

Pottsy
      Pottsy
      Participant

48 posts

That’s sorted now. I mustn’t have read your message correctly as I had only removed the old folders not replaced the module.php. I notice the mystyle.css for links only applies to links out of the story box as you can see in the example. Can I change this or is it best left alone?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

I’m not near a machine that would let me look at your styles, but changing any of them should be simple enough.

It will be Monday now before I could help more specifically I’m afraid.

Nigel

Pottsy
      Pottsy
      Participant

48 posts

Thanks Nigel. Now rush on this one. Also, I am not confident that font family changes are followed through using mystyle.css

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

OK. I’ll be able to look on Monday.

But first, what are you trying to achieve, in respect of design?

Is there a reason you want links to look different in your pages to the rest of the site (not a great look in my opinion)?

If not, do you want all links to look like:
      a) the standard theme, or
      b) something else, in which case, what?

IMHO, the fewer styles you try to modify (i.e. leave to use the standard theme settings) the better the overall site will look as if it is one entity.

I am not confident that font family changes are followed through using mystyle.css

ANY customisation will follow through – if you set the selectors correctly The ‘C” in CSS stands for “cascading”, and it is the key to everything. You have to get the ‘cascade’ right or your changes will be over-ruled by a later item in the cascade. That’s where the (F12) developer tools become invaluable because they will show you which css is being used and which are being over-written.

If it helps, the best way to open the developer tools is not with F12. Point to the element on the page you want to check the css for, then using your right-mouse button menu select “Inspect element” (this for Chrome / FireFox, not quite so easy in IE)

Nigel

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

This is a well written blog on the complexities of “cascading” css:

http://www.altitudelabs.com/blog/quick-guide-to-understanding-css/

Nigel

Pottsy
      Pottsy
      Participant

48 posts

Thanks Nigel. I suppose I wanted to achieve a couple of things:

Attempt some minor customisations to have a small degree of uniqueness
        Learn about CSS
        I like the clean lines of Verdana so wanted to see what that would look like
        Get some consistency between Stories, simple_pages and HTML blocks
        Adjust my link URLs so that they can be seen without standing out too much
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Attempt some minor customisations to have a small degree of uniqueness

Thats a good thing – but surely you want to keep some consistency across the entire site?

Learn about CSS

Also very good. My recomendation is to get to grips with your browser’s “developer tools”. They are the absolute key to understanding what css is actually being used for any particular element.

I like the clean lines of Verdana so wanted to see what that would look like

Font family is set initially at the top of the style.css file with this:

body {
      	color: #555;
      	font-family: “Helvetica Neue”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
      	font-size: 16px;
      	margin: 0;
      	width: 100%;
      }

So to change it across your whole site just add this to mystyle.css

body {
      	font-family: “Verdana, sans-serif;
      }

or something similar.

BUT, as is often the case there is a snag. If you use your developer tools you will see that the “body” tag for pages wrapped inside tabs is over-ruled by this:

.ui-widget {
          font-family: Trebuchet MS,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
      }

That is actually a form of bug. The .ui-widget is necessary but it should be the same as the body tag., and will be corrected at the next release. For now simply change mystyle.css to this:

body,  .ui-widget {
      	font-family: “Helvetica Neue”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
      }

or for your Verddana preference, this:

body,  .ui-widget {
      	font-family: “Verdana, sans-serif;
      }

Now you will have verdana across your entire site.

Get some consistency between Stories, simple_pages and HTML blocks

The above will help, but to reiterate, IMHO the aim should be consistency across the WHOLE site. Apart from poor design, anything else is more complicated and messy code. But even the standard themes could do with improvements in that regard 🙁

Adjust my link URLs so that they can be seen without standing out too much

All the same comments apply. The basic setting for links is in the style.css file, in lines 63 to 80 (the “a” element.

Simply put them in mystyle.css with the different settings you want. BUT with links there may well be more elsewhere in the style.css file that you will also want to change. Again, the developer tools will help you work out what css is in play for any element you want to change.

[NOTE: all above comments, especially line numbers, apply to the kiwitrees theme only. The principles will be the same for other themes, but the details definitely will not]

Nigel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.