Authorjamesl
Last activity4 months ago
StatusOpen
Replies8
Voices2
Participantsjamesl, kiwi
Actions
Tags

DSGVO, bug sql error, events of close relatives, cousins, REFN, Google Maps, FAQ, design, contacts, time, tab, data errors, message contactform, php 5.6, inactive, Batch Updates, calendar.php issue, editor, SUBM, slideshow, datatables, 7.2, save settings, styles, html, fancy tree view, missing data, Require visitor authentication, fixing errors, installation, 3.3.0, Fancy imagebar, edit menu, 500, role edit, HTML block, place, ID notes, BAPM, blank, descendants, source, F.A.B., autocomplete, upgrade, google, surname, simpl_grey, redirect, 2.0, news module, internal messaging, chart, title, IE problem, support, IE11, reports, 3.2.2, administration pages

Kiwitrees on Twitter

Tagged: 

Topic:   Modify SUBM (submitter) information  

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar jamesl 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Is it possible to modify the SUBM (submitter) information in a gedcom in Kiwitrees? The submitter information in my gedcom file is out of date, and I’d like to modify it in Kiwitrees, without exporting/editing/importing the gedcom file.

The SUBM tag appears as

0 @s0@ SUBM

in the gedcom file, but this “source” does not appear in the list of sources, so how does one edit it?

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

Is it possible to modify the SUBM (submitter) information in a gedcom in Kiwitrees? The submitter information in my gedcom file is out of date, and I’d like to modify it in Kiwitrees, without exporting/editing/importing the gedcom file. The SUBM tag appears as

0 @s0@ SUBM

in the gedcom file, but this “source” does not appear in the list of sources, so how does one edit it?
      James

I did add a partial solution to this a couple of years ago, but it seems it is no longer working correctly. To see what I mean, type “SUBM” (no quotes) in the general “Search” field in your site’s header/menu area. You should see the submitter record returned on screen. It should be editable but currently isn’t.

Now replace the file kiwitrees/gedrecord.php with the one from the zip folder attached below here and try the same again. Hopefully, you will now get a “Raw GEDCOM edit” screen where you can change the contents.

For more information about what can,/can not be included in a SUBM record have a look at the GEDCOM specification (available at https://kiwitrees.net/faqs/general-topics/gedcom-specification/ ) on page 28.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Thanks for your reply Nigel.

I wasn’t able to find the SUBM record by searching for SUBM, but I did obtain it by searching for S0.
      However, even with your new gedrecord.php file, the record can still not be edited (no “Raw GEDCOM edit” screen).

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

OK. Currently that code looks for a cross reference of specifically “SUBM” (0 @SUBM@ SUBM). I’ll look to see if It can instead look for a record type “SUBM” instead (the second SUBM in the above)

Using a reference of “S0” is not a good idea though, as it will too easily get confused with sources. I suspect that in your tree you will have entries for both of these:

0 @S0@ SUBM
      and
      0 @S0@ SOUR

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

I think the code in the GEDCOM file was generated by a genealoy program, probably Legacy. The way it’s organised is as follows.

In the header of the file there is a forward reference:

1 SUBM @S0@

Then towards the end of the file the record itself:

0 @S0@ SUBM
      1 NAME xxx
      1 ADDR yyy
      2 CONT zzz
      (etc.)

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

I think the code in the GEDCOM file was generated by a genealoy program, probably Legacy. The way it’s organised is as follows…………..

Thanks, James, that’s very helpful.

Try the attached version of the same file ( kiwitrees/gedrecord.php ). It should now let you edit your S0 reference.

Note: this is a temporary fix. It improves slightly on the previous version, but ultimately there should be a complete “SUBM” record structure similar to, for example, SOUR or NOTE. This because the GEDCOM specification actually requires a minimum of one SUBM record, but allows an infinite number. You can have a SUBM record and attached name/address/ etc details attached to ANY other record, be it a person, family, source, media object etc…. If used correctly it allows any or every record in your tree to be referenced to the person who supplied it!

But I know of very few people who use such a feature, and even software that can handle it. So it’s not going to be a high priority for me.

Nigel
      Attachments:
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

Hello Nigel,

There didn’t appear to be a file attached to your reply.

James

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1717 posts

Oops, sorry. I got distracted!! I’ve attached it to that post now.

Nigel
      jamesl
      Participant

37 posts

OK That worked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

James

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.