Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

3.3.0, 3.0.0. setup, googlemap. modified, privacy, translation, bug, upgrade, hover, sanity, 500, pdf, server, resources, burial, watermark, birth, 3.1.1, simpl_pages, zend, future, Administration, place, repo, custom text, widget, index, GEDCOM errors, lists, cemsus, default individual, dead, version, survey, php 5.6, Default record, My Page, edit menu, clippings cart, Add a wife, CHR, events of close relatives, footer, title, REFN, contact links, Georgian, IE problem, media, permissions, timeout, backup, set link, Themes change, error, save settings, logout, census, FAQ, advent, custom modules

Topic:   MAC-Safari access problems since upgrade to 3.3.0  

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    • Author
      clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

Has anyone had MAC-Safari users experiencing access problems on 3.3.0? I’ve just heard from a user who says she has treid many times in the last few days and can’t get further than the Home Page which has ‘a continuously turning wheel’ top left.
      I’ve asked for all the usual details and am waiting for her reply but thought I would check here whilst waiting.

Ron in France
      kiwitrees 3.3.1; PHP 7.0.23; MySQL 5.6.37 ;

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

Ron

I’ve just looked at your site on my iPhone, using Safari. That’s generally a good representation of a MAC. It looks fine to me.

Top left of your site is an HTML block. I can’t think of anything that would cause that not to load on any device.

Ensure you get a screen dump of her Home page when you talk to her.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

Thanks for the rapid – and reassuring – response Nigel. I’ll let you know what comes of this.

Ron in France

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

539 posts

I use Mac exclusively. Just clicked around some of your pages off the home page without problem. Switched over to Safari Version 10.1 (11603.1.30.0.34) and had no problems.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.0 (rev)"
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 10.1.1 (11603.2.5);  Firefox 53.0.2
      [updated: 22 May 2017]

clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

Thanks for doing that. Good to know that I don’t have a general problem for Mac/Safari users. Clearly her problem is very specific to her set-up. Still waiting for her reply – will report back here when resolved.

Ron in France

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

Ron, do check that your user has the same version of MAC operating system and browser as macalter, just in case that’s a factor, though I doubt it will be.

Nigel
      clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

Not much closer to understanding this one. She still has the problem. She is on OS 10.9.5 and Safari 9.1.3 (9537.86.7.8).
      After logging in the has sent me the attached screenshot – saying the the ‘rotating wheels’ are never replaced by what should be there. When trying to go further, she quickly hits ‘the wheels’ again and gives as an example: List – Individuals – surname T – THOMAS – all OK, then when she tries to select an initial within Thomas, the wheels return and stay turning. Does this give any clues as to what could be the cause? She also says that when she hovers over her name the list that appears shows only ‘My Account’ and ‘Logout’ – no ‘Pedigree’ or ‘My Individual Record’ . That sounds like something that should be in my admin specifications but i can’t see anything – she is defined as ‘member’ . Is there something obvious here that I am not seeing??

Ron in France

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

Ah yes, a picture always helps 🙂

But first I must take pleasure in referring back to your original post, where you said “can’t get further than the Home Page which has ‘a continuously turning wheel’ top left.
      That pointed me to the HTML block in the top-left corner, at which I abandoned my first guess, which it is now apparent was the correct one 🙂

She has four blocks that are failing to load: On this day, Slide show, Statistics, and Upcoming events. They have one thing in common, and which none of the others have. They use ajax (javascript) to control their page loading. This allows blocks that are simple to load first, while these more complex ones that can take a few seconds to load are working in the background. If we didn’t do that they would delay the entire page from loading until all of them were ready to show.

The fact she is a member is largely irrelevant, as the home page operates almost the same regardless. It is your “front page” and therefore fully accessible to visitors. The only difference is that individual block’s content will vary according to who can see private information. Indeed it would be interesting (but not particularly helpful) to know if she is seeing this problem before, after (or both) logging in. I would expect it to be both.

The most likely cause is that she has disabled javascript in her browser for some reason. I’m no MAC expert but I believe its a browser setting under “Security” Try Safari > Preferences > Security > tick “enable javascript”. Then restart the browser.

If you want to test it with her first you can temporarily modify any of the blocks, For example, in /modules_v4/todays_events/module.php find the code for “loadAjax” (about line 100) and change true to false. That should remove one of the spinning wheels. But I don’t recommend leaving it that way.

Nigel
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

Just for further info. This is not actually a MAC issue. Any browser / operating system can have javascript disabled.

You can replicate her issue in, for example, Google Chrome on a Windows PC. Go to the browser settings, open “Advanced settings, find “privacy” – Content settings. In the popup change the Javascript setting to “Do not allow any site to run Javascript”. Now you will have the same problem as your user.

If she really want to disable javascript she can (I think, not knowing MAC well) disable it then add specific websites such as yours as an exception.

Nigel
      clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

{You can replicate her issue in, for example, Google Chrome on a Windows PC. Go to the browser settings, open “Advanced settings, find “privacy” – Content settings. In the popup change the Javascript setting to “Do not allow any site to run Javascript”. Now you will have the same problem as your user.}

Pretty conclusive – thanks Nigel – I’ve tried that and achieved exactly the same result. I’ve passed on instructions for re-enabling javascript (I can’t imagine that she has disabled it intentionally – perhaps a visiting member of the younger generation has been responsible).
      My apologies for passing on a clearly incorrect description of the problem in the original post and my thanks for determining the cause of the problem.

Ron in France

clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

Just heard from the user that she has verified that in Safari > Preferences > Security “enable javascript” IS INDEED ticked!! So restarting Safari she still has the same problem. You have demonstrated pretty conclusively that the problem is due to javascript not functioning, so if it is ‘enabled’ in the browser I assume that her Java installation itself is suspect and that I should tell her to re-install Java. Do you agree or could there be another explanation?

Ron in France

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

Don’t confuse “java” with “JavaScript”. They are not connected in any way. Java is not used in any part of kiwitrees.

I think she will need to talk to a MAC expert. There is absolutely no doubt this is a user / browser issue. It is unlikely you will be able to help any further.

Just to be sure get her to send you a screen dump of the security settings. She might also be confusing java with JavaScript.

Nigel
      clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

Oh! Thanks for clarifying Nigel. She definitely refers to the item ‘Activer javascript’ (she has a French installation) as being ticked so, unlike me, I don’t think she’s confusing Java and javascript. I’ll tell her to seek out her local Mac expert as you suggest.

Ron in France

clandav
      clandav
      Participant

129 posts

I hesitate to come back again on this issue, as I feel confident that, as you have shown, Nigel, the problem experienced by the user must be somehow associated with her specific set-up. To this end, she plans to present the problem to her local Mac expert when he returns from a few days away.

HOWEVER, I am puzzled by the something she has told me in her latest e-mail, and I thought I should share it with you. I had explained to her that the problem was clearly associated with javascript and that it appeared that, although her browser setting indicated that javascript was enabled, something was seemingly preventing javascript from functioning as it should when she accessed my website. But to convince her that it really was not specific to my website but would probably apply to all websites that used javascript, I pointed her to two other sites which have connections to mine and to which I provide links from my Home Page. Both sites use webtrees. Before suggesting she access these two sites, I first checked them from my PC with javascript disabled in Chrome. Sure enough, both presented the same problem (‘the ever-turning wheels’ on blocks using javascript and therefore failing to open).

Her first response to me last night was that one of those sites (the ‘HARVEY’ site) produced the same problem she had described on my site, but that the other one (the ‘CUMBERLAND’ site) functioned perfectly normally. This morning she followed up with another report, telling me, I quote:

{i’ve just tried the Harvey Family Tree again and I find that, if I wait – less than a minute – it works. The Cumberland website works immediately but yours refuses to perform however long I wait.}

So it would appear that javascript does not simply have to be enabled for the blocks to load successfully but it also has to have a certain level of resource that is presumably lacking on this user’s system, and that the resource demands of the blocks on my site would appear to be greater than those on the other two sites. The ‘problem’ blocks on all three sites are Slide Show, Statistics, On This Day and Up Coming Events; in addition, on my site, the Changes in the Last Seven Days block also fails to load correctly. Comparing the three sites, the ‘CUMBERLAND’ site – the one on which the problem does not arise, is the smallest, having 8,098 individuals, 13,846 events and 142 media items; the ‘HARVEY’ site (which takes its time but finally gets there) is the largest in terms of individuals (21,552) and events (39,853) but only has 120 media items. My site has 15,120 individuals, 38, 644 events and 5678 media items (the majority jpeg files between 100K and 500K, but also a good many PDF files and a number of heavier-weight audio and video files). It would appear that the significanty larger media presence on my site is somehow indirectly responsible. And although I can imagine that having an impact on Slide Show and Statistics, I can see no obvious reason why it should prevent say ‘Changes in the last seven days’ (VERY few items) from loading correctly. It seems as though ALL of the blocks which use javascript are prevented from loading correctly if any one of them is blocked by some resource constraint (or probably more likely that they are handled sequentially and one that is blocked holds up all the others??).

Anyway, I thought I should pass all this on for completeness. If the extra information suggests to you any obvious action she could take to solve the problem, I’d appreciate your input Nigel. Otherwise I’ll leave it to her to try to resolve with her Mac guru and report their findings back here.

Ron in France

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1480 posts

HOWEVER, I am puzzled by the something she has told me in her latest e-mail, and I thought I should share it with you.

Never be puzzled by something a user has told you until you have reproduced it yourself. 🙂

I see that you say “… first checked them from my PC with javascript disabled in Chrome. Sure enough, both presented the same problem (‘the ever-turning wheels’ on blocks using javascript and therefore failing to open).” That’s excellent, but did you also, as she describes, try waiting for for some time. Did you test that yourself?

I have just done so. In fact I waited (while I did other things) for 30 minutes. Still after that time your site and the other two failed to display only the javascript enabled blocks (js was disabled from my browser at the time). So her exact problem cannot be reproduced on any browser other than hers. That rules out all the other issues you raise.

But I’m not surprised. The way these blocks, and many other parts of the site (lie the INDI lists she also refers to) use javascript is very simple. If you have javascript those things will display. If you don’t the wheels will just continue to spin. Size of available resources.is irrelevant. The “spinning wheel” is nothing clever, just a simple litle animated gif image. It is not in any way connected to the process of loading the data. The data is prepared in the background, and will in fact have completed “loading” in the normal time. But it cannot be seen because there is a css class of “visibility: hidden” set on its html container by default, and the wheel displayed instead. Once the data is loaded javascript is used to remove the “hidden” class and hide the wheel.
      So it’s a very simple process, and can ONLY be disrupted by JavaScript failing to function due to being disabled or (quite rare) corruption at the browser.

However, her report back will help her MAC expert to diagnose the problem. I can only guess, but I think he will just remove and reinstall her browser. The symptoms she gives – javascript enabled but not functioning correctly / functioning in an intermittent manner, suggest a damaged browser installation.

Nigel
    Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.