Search
Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

folder, pop-ups, surname, feedback, nickname, media, session, descendant, ID notes, custom text, FAQ, special character, fact, logs, advent, library, 1939 Register, progress, fancy image bar, notes, transifex, fatal error, error, place, news module, NCHI, type, margin, themes, prefix, relationships, chart, immigration, drag, check, colors, duplicates, repo, REFN, reports, admin, person, icons, marriage, Php 7.1, DSGVO, index, Administration, kiwitrees 2.0.2, googlemaps, clippings cart, shared note, search, tab, add_asso_facts, name, login upgrade, divorce, abbreviate, dates

Topic:   kiwitrees theme  

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Roy Roy 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Roy
      Roy
      Participant

110 posts

Nigel:

First impression of the kiwitrees theme, I really like the horizontal layout of the “home Page” and “My Page” Sure hope my users like it too.

To make best use of the horizontal layout and fixed theme view sizes, some of the current blocks that do not allow scrolling will have to be changed to allow scrolling. I suppose the theme areas that are fixed could also be changed to allow scrolling. I think the allowing the current blocks to scroll would be preferable.

Roy Evans

Roy

Apache 2.4.27  PHP 7.19 MariaDB 10.2.8

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1660 posts

Roy

Yes setting up blocks is a little more challenging, but I am keen to encourage site owners to take a bit more interest in the presentation of their site anyway. It might be possible to allow scrolling, although my personal preference is to avoid it wherever possible. The way to do that is to manipulate the content rather than either add scrolling or change the size of the blocks.

So, for example, if I wanted to use “Top Surnames there, either use it in a layout other than “table”, or limit to the top 5 (?) or something.

The top / main / ex-“left” block on the Home page should IMHO be an HTML block with an introduction to your site, perhaps a full block background image etc. Along the lines of my “simpl_designer theme (which is at the core of the new kiwitrees theme) that can be seen on one of my own sites here: http://our-families.info/index.php?ctype=gedcom&ged=osborne-ons

But I’m happy to discuss changes. Which blocks are you concerned about?

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      Roy
      Roy
      Participant

110 posts

Nigel:

After watching with interest your Home page comments on the webtrees forum and your theme development work, I am pretty sure I am in-tune with your thoughts about the use of the homepage.

What I had failed to fully understand about the kiwitrees theme was that the Home page top/main/ ex-“left” was fixed in size and that any blocks in the bottom / ex-“right” would scroll. Once that picture finally got through to me, I was able to make a Home page that I was happy with.

One thing is obvious, a Home page built for the kiwitrees theme doesn’t necessary translate into a Home page suitable for the other themes. My solution is to make the kiwitrees theme the default and the users who choose another theme will just have to live with it!

Great job!

Roy

Apache 2.4.27  PHP 7.19 MariaDB 10.2.8

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘kiwitrees theme’ is closed to new replies.