Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

close, BAPM, REFN, session, spam, husband, xmas, ID notes, translation, Google Maps, ckeditor, php 7, illegitimate, statistics, repo, HTML block, fancy image bar, configure, title, 3.0.0, sidebar, dates, notes, edit menu, charts, batch update, login, index, 3.1.1, users, marriage, simpl_research, permissions, BURI, date, contact, advent, descendants, colors theme, gettext, server, version, googlemap. modified, 3.2.3, flags, click, GEDCOM, 7.1, updates, installation, access roles, lists, xenea, time, tabs, .po, GEDCOM errors, data errors, privacy, name

Tagged: 

Topic:   Experimenting  

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jacoline 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

I am looking to make some improvements to the Google Map display on the “Place hierarchy” page, similar to the ones already made on the individual pages Google Map tab involving making the map larger.

I’ve made the change on my own site here: http://www.our-families.info/placelist.php

Your comments and opinions would be very welcome.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      Roy
      Roy
      Participant

122 posts

Nigel:

Couldn’t respond to your request for thoughts about the change to the Google Maps in the forum ‘Updates / New Release Announcements. It was closed to replies.

Took a quick look at the new map layout and prefer it. It really fits well with the kiwitrees theme. Not important to me but one thing to consider; small screen users may have to scroll a bit more.

Roy

Roy

Apache 2.4.27  PHP 7.19 MariaDB 10.2.8

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

Thanks. I forget that section was closed. I’ve moved it so now open to replies.

I don’t think small displays should be an issue. Have you tried? It’s working ok on my iPad.

Nigel

jacoline
      Participant

455 posts

Looks great in kiwi theme. How does it look in the others? If same I support the changes

Regards,
      Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of:
      www.jaconelli.dk/webtrees, www.jaconelli.dk/history, www.familien-johnsen.dk(submenu) and danish support at www.host-siden.dk/sandbox and facebook

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

Looks great in kiwi theme. How does it look in the others? If same I support the changes

I would expect it would look the same, but with different colours from other themes. Would you expect something more, or less?

Nigel
      Roy
      Roy
      Participant

122 posts

Follow up

Nigel:

Checked out the new map page on a tablet; looks OK.

As an aside, you have a Grand Rapids, Missouri pointing to Grand Rapids, Minnesota. I don’t believe there is such a place as Grand Rapids in Missouri. The only two I know of are in Minnesota and Michigan. I spotted it because I visit the Minnesota town quite regularly.

Roy

Roy

Apache 2.4.27  PHP 7.19 MariaDB 10.2.8

pab
      pab
      Participant

135 posts

I was not sure whether I liked it to begin with, but the more I’ve visited and used the new layout the more I am liking it. I think my biggest gripe with Google Maps is the “ribbon earth” of the Top Level settings where we see two Asia and two Africa. It’s a pity it could not kick off with something like:

Penguins Are Boss

Apache 2.4.25; MariaDB 10.1.22; PHP 7.0.18

http://bootesgowland.info

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

Here it is in colors, webtrees, and xenea

Nigel
      Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

As an aside, you have a Grand Rapids, Missouri pointing to Grand Rapids, Minnesota. I don’t believe there is such a place as Grand Rapids in Missouri. The only two I know of are in Minnesota and Michigan. I spotted it because I visit the Minnesota town quite regularly.

Thanks, Now fixed. It should have been Grand Rapids, Michigan, too many “MI”s 🙂

Nigel
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

I think my biggest gripe with Google Maps is the “ribbon earth” of the Top Level settings where we see two Asia and two Africa. It’s a pity it could not kick off with something like….

Yes, I couldn’t agree more. I spent far too long experimenting with zoom levels and height: width ratios but none of them made the slightest difference. At least this version fills the area completely. The old version, on my data always had black bars top and bottom.

The problem is caused by the number and location of markers. I have seen other kiwitrees sites where the top level has perhaps only 6 or 7 top level countries, and those all in (say) Europe. In that case the top level looks far better. But as you can see, my family (in the broadest sense) are really spread far and wide.

If you zoom one step closer, as in the image you attached you actually end up chopping off Alaska and a bunch of tine Pacific Islands. So it seems ideally we would need a 1.5 zoom option! But Google (AFAIK) don’t allow for that.

Nigel

jacoline
      Participant

455 posts

Looks good (actually the same good looking)

Thanks for the other theme images 🙂

As mentioned before – I support this 🙂

Regards,
      Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of:
      www.jaconelli.dk/webtrees, www.jaconelli.dk/history, www.familien-johnsen.dk(submenu) and danish support at www.host-siden.dk/sandbox and facebook

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Experimenting’ is closed to new replies.