Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

Extra menus, 2.0, 3.2.0, Favourites, link, kiwitrees theme, add missing death, places, tabs, style, missing data, future, Batch Updates, internal messaging, dropbox. token, custom text, seo, autocomplete, php 7, MAC, editor, menu, clippings cart, simpl_research, relationships, image, re-order, birth, contact links, installation, googlemap, descendant, xmas, edit, xenea, css, sanity checker, .po, 3.0.0. setup, 3.1.1, mystyle, media, descendants, latest version, stories, Add a wife, family facts, census, source, errors, beta, contacts, lists, family navigator, fact, edit menu, research tasks, repo, events of close relatives, 3.0.0 widgets

Topic:   Every Word Capitalized  

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

534 posts

Got a peculiar problem. Thought it was the text I was copying but the stuff today is definitely has proper sentence capitalization. From the source I highlight, copy, paste.

SOURCE:
      She married Howard Pratt Johnson of Montclair, N.J., on Oct. 25, 1947, moving to Montclair to raise their three children. In 1978, Mrs. Johnson moved back to Washington, D.C., where she worked at the Covington Burlington Law Firm for many years.

MY SITE
      She Married Howard Pratt Johnson Of Montclair, N.J., On Oct. 25, 1947, Moving To Montclair To Raise Their Three Children. In 1978, Mrs. Johnson Moved Back To Washington, D.C., Where She Worked At The Covington Burlington Law Firm For Many Years.

Copying text into a text editor shows it properly. But, that’s quite an extra step that shouldn’t be requred. Transformation options is only for UPPER, lower or Capitilize every word

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.0 (rev)"
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 10.1.1 (11603.2.5);  Firefox 53.0.2
      [updated: 22 May 2017]

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Transformation options is only for UPPER, lower or Capitilize every word

Yes, with one important proviso. The transformations you refer to are css, and therefore applied within a specific html tag. In your example all words in the paragraph are capitalised, so it is likely they are contained within their own html tag, perhaps a div, p, or span. This is not uncommon when you copy / paste from a web site.

I would need to see the actual source code as it currently exists on your site to fully understand what is happening here though and how best to prevent it, if possible. Can you tell me where to find it, and if part of a private record let me have a login to view it?

My major concern here is not the look of it, but that we “should” be stripping all html tags from any text entered into a source, note, Cincinnati citation, etc; and also which css style from the theme this is coincidentally picking up.

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

534 posts

But if I took the step to copy into a text editor, that would have stripped any chance of there being code. (Which I doubt as I’ve never had this problem before).
      I’ll upgrade my Royals site and put it there, later tonight.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Is the original source this page: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/capitalgazette/obituary.aspx?n=katherine-addison-johnson&pid=137012220 ?

If so, there is nothing in it’s source code that would cause this. So very odd….

Before upgrading your Royals site, try looking at the problem where it exists now in different themes. If that changes it, then there is probably an issue with colors theme. If it doesn’t, then it’s probably not being caused by kiwitrees at all, and therefore unlikely to appear on your other site even after an upgrade.

Nigel

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Don’t worry, I’ve found the problem. Its nothing to do with that particular source or that text. ANY place where the html class “fact_table” is used in the colors theme will be capitalised! So a bug to be fixed.

Short term if you want you can fix it by adding this to your colors theme mystyle.css file:

.facts_table {
            text-transform: none;
      }
      .facts_label {
            text-transform: capitalize;
      }

Nigel

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

534 posts

Just pasted the same text into a new note field and it seems “normal”. Will check your fixes when releasing the next upgrade before removing it. Although, admittedly, I forget what fixes I’m waiting for <LAUGH>

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

jacoline
      Participant

398 posts

Ex. married text is typed with capital letter at the indipage but at familypage it is normal.

First I was thinking I was crazy. No I know I am not 😛

Regards,
      Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of:
      www.jaconelli.dk/webtrees, www.host-siden.dk/history, www.familien-johnsen.dk and danish support at www.host-siden.dk/sandbox

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Ex. married text is typed with capital letter at the indipage but at familypage it is normal.

First I was thinking I was crazy. No I know I am not

The fix is the same as I gave above.

Nigel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.