Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

GEDCOM errors, googlemap, ID facts, access roles, illegitimate, translation, family navigator, getClientIp, 3.2.3, performance, default individual, version, users, reports, tab, design, custom text, access level, blocks, follow, admin, logs, spouse, wish, charts, re-order, html, progress, fancy image bar, language, name, F.A.B., marriages, prison, IE11, delete, fixing errors, journal, merge, menu, Fancy imagebar, Themes change, events of close relatives, repo, pdf, HTML block, white screen, kiwitrees 2.0.2, slideshow, Extra menus, xmas, source, special character, new feature, not married, Add a wife, installation, age, family, resources

Topic:   Review / change order of sub-tags on add / edit and display  

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by macalter macalter 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

534 posts

{Note: topic split from https://kiwitrees.net/forums/topic/progress-update/#post-5340}

………………..

Asides, but while addresses edits/adds maybe best time to address:

Just did a couple of edits to Charles Darwin (birth date, death date, education). Then compared the ADD edit window to that of EDIT. I am using birth and death events even though they occur once per person (!) still apply to the other edit windows. And that’s being consistent in order and possibly having most used fields higher priority to either redundant or less used.

In the ADD Death, Age could probably be lower priority, under Cause.
      add-death

In the EDIT Death, the order should match ADD.
      edit-death

> For consistency, and because you’ve changed adding Sources, have the whole section below fields relating to the event itself.
      > Each tab must clearly state to whom the edit/add is applying to “Charles Dawin” alone is not unique, should have DOB/DOD.
      >The School or college looks more attached to the source than the event. Would like it between date and place.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.0 (rev)"
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 10.1.1 (11603.2.5);  Firefox 53.0.2
      [updated: 22 May 2017]

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

….. maybe using feature may change how I feel, not sure.

That’s hopeful 🙂 Give it a bit of time. It IS a change to the old ways of thinking, but I think it’s worth it.

Just did a couple of edits to Charles Darwin (birth date, death date, education). Then compared the ADD edit window to that of EDIT. I am using birth and death events even though they occur once per person (!) still apply to the other edit windows. And that’s being consistent in order and possibly having most used fields higher priority to either redundant or less used.

In the ADD Death, Age could probably be lower priority, under Cause.

In the EDIT Death, the order should match ADD.

That’s a problem that has been around since PGV days. Not really related to this change. I don’t disagree with the comment though, but it will have to wait until this change is done.

> For consistency, and because you’ve changed adding Sources, have the whole section below fields relating to the event itself.

Can you elaborate. I’m not sure I follow your thinking on this one. A picture would help.

> Each tab must clearly state to whom the edit/add is applying to “Charles Darwin” alone is not unique, should have DOB/DOD.

That’s certainly possible. I’ll take a look. Can’t say it’s bothered me so far though.

>The School or college looks more attached to the source than the event. Would like it between date and place.

Another one I don’t quite understand. Can you explain further, with picture.[/quote]

As a general comment, the actual order of each element of a fact or event, with in add or edit, would IDEALLY match the order it exists on the source document you are viewing. But of course they are never the same across countries states, tie etc, so there is no “right order’ for these things. So, for example, I would disagree that CAUS AGE should be a lower priority than CAUS. Most often I am looking at records that give age, but rarely cause of death. That doesn’t make either of us wrong, we just use different source records.

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

534 posts

Original
      EDUCATION

My attempt at revised 🙂 Note switch with “School or college” with Place.

EDUCATION-REVISED

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Note switch with “School or college” with Place.

Ah, I see now. That makes sense. Not as simple as it looks though. All events have the Date / Place together like that, but only OCCU and EDUC (I think) have the AGNC sub-tag, so for coding it makes sense / efficiency to group all common code together then add ‘extras’ later.

But I’ll have a look at it, but not until I have finished working through the pop-up edit screens. That’s a big job without additional changes at the same time. I’ll add it to the ‘Wish list’ on the Road map page so I don’t forget.

I will move this to a separate topic as well.

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

534 posts

The “wish list” is a good place for it. Thanks for the explanation of why it’s like that.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      PHP 5.6.29 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.0.."
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.