Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

fancy tree view, burial, last change date, backup, survey, repo, version, default individual, menus, ID facts, not married, .mo, age, illegitimate, census, duplicates, family navigator, gender change, kiwitrees 2.0.2, relationships, GEDCOM errors, date, translation, login, birth, person, family fact, language, installation, events of close relatives, descendants, .po, prison, 2.0, blocks, Favourites, edit interface, dead, privacy, type, journal, updates, logout, save settings, datatables, Relationship, places, 3.0.0, follow, 3.2.0, release, inactive, 3.0.0. setup, I18N, simpl_pages, research, icons, colors, HTML block, special character

Topic:   Cookies Content  

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jacoline 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author

ole
      Participant

6 posts

On http://www.our-families.info/ Nigel use a Cookies Content script, i have tried to use the same script on my side http://www.melfar.dk/kiwitrees but it doesn’t seems to work, I have put the code in the “Custom JavaScript” page. Any ideas what is wrong.
      Best Regards
      Ole H Madsen

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Ole

I didn’t use custom js for this myself.

I’m not sure it can be done that way because it needs to load a js file from the SilkTide web site.

So I created instead a custom header file (myheader.php, as described in the FAQ pages on this site) and included the details silktide provide in that, within the head tags.

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Further to my last reply…

I also added this in a custom css file (mystyle.css), for the kiwitrees theme

/* silktide.com CookieConsent */
      .cc_container .cc_btn, .cc_container .cc_btn:visited {
      	color: #fff !important;
      	background-color: #aaa !important;
      }

Nigel

pab
      pab
      Participant

105 posts

Might this be important enough to become a standard part of kiwitrees?

Penguins Are Boss

Apache 2.4.25; MariaDB 10.1.22; PHP 7.0.18

http://bootesgowland.info

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1431 posts

Might this be important enough to become a standard part of kiwitrees?

To be honest, I really hope not. In my (personal) opinion it is a pointless bit of EU bureaucratic nonsense. I only put it on my site to see if a “pre-packaged” solution such as SilkTide’s would work. It does, so I’m happy we can leave it for those who feel they want it to install using the customisation tools already provided.

If I have to spend all my available time developing solutions just for every regions differing bureaucracies I’m not sure I’d want to bother any more.

What confuses most people about this and similar state legislation, in pretty much any country, is that they rarely, if ever, are required or enforced for non-commercial sites. (though if as some do you start adding Google Ads to your family history site, perhaps you are bordering on “commercial”).

Frankly, in this day, anyone who uses the web and doesn’t know that 99.99% of sites use perfectly harmless* cookies probably shouldn’t be on the web at all. And just clicking a button that tells you a site uses them achieves nothing useful for anyone.

(*… harmless as in non-3rd party cookies. 3rd party cookies can and should be blocked by your browser)

Nigel

pab
      pab
      Participant

105 posts

I totally agree!

Penguins Are Boss

Apache 2.4.25; MariaDB 10.1.22; PHP 7.0.18

http://bootesgowland.info

jacoline
      Participant

398 posts

The fun part will also be ruined! And if any who wants to have this. I will suggest to use the page menu and add the cookie rules for own country and make a clickable “cookie” link in the custom jv module!

Regards,
      Jamie Jaconelli

admin and owner of:
      www.jaconelli.dk/webtrees, www.host-siden.dk/history, www.familien-johnsen.dk and danish support at www.host-siden.dk/sandbox

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.