Authorpab
Last activity3 weeks, 4 days ago
StatusOpen
Replies1
Voices2
Participantspab, kiwi
Actions
Tags

Search and replace, bug, places, custom, edit interface, configure, ID facts, performance, lists, timeout, events of close relatives, logs, slideshow, defacto, menus, dates, CREM, multiple marriages, roadmap, 3.3.3, 7.2, Google Maps, wish, datatables, blank screem, 7.0, family, Administration, add_asso_facts, footer, 2.0.2, fancy image bar, block, 3.0.0 widgets, order, Histo, notes, blank, ASSO, stories, fixing errors, login, 1939 Register, type, Export/Import, responsive menus, 2.0, validation, library, Php 7.1, duplicates, media, formatting, NCHI, calendar.php issue, children, spam, age, simpl_research, tab

Kiwitrees on Twitter

Topic:   Common Birth Places list  

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      pab
      pab
      Participant

118 posts

The variable #commonBirthPlacesList# returns the Top 10 Birth Places.
      Can this be made more flexible to return, eg, Top 20, Top 50 birth places with a scrollbar?
      Such as common surnames can do?

Penguins Are  Boss

https://bootesgowland.info

kt 3.3.5, php 7.3.6

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1721 posts

Currently, no, the code doesn’t exist to do that.

“Common surnames” is a standard block. The #xxxx# variables for those were created to adopt the same options as the existing blocks.

Other statistical data elements such as #commonBirthPlaces# were only ever considered as just that, a list of statistical data.

However, I am currently working on the entire statistics code, to fix the problem of losing the Google Charts API (see: https://kiwitrees.net/forums/topic/statistics-charts/), and just adding an option to set the number of items in lists such as #commonBirthPlaces# is easy to add., So I will do that for the next release. Its use would be like #commonBirthPlaces:25#

Adding a scroll bar is not so easy. That works for blocks, like commonSurnames, because they already have the styling CSS in each theme to control their height and width. So a simple option to turn scrolling on or off is simple. To do the same for the lists like #commonBirthPlaces# would require at least additional options for the width and height of the containing element – as well as the “overflow: scroll” option – and I can imagine each use-case would want those to be different. The other solution would be to create “blocks” for all those as well, but there are just too many of them.

So I think, as presumably they are being embedded in an html block anyway, it would be easier for each site admin to wrap the #commonBirthPlaces# in whatever html element they want for it. For example:

<div style="height: 120px, width: 400px, overflow-y:scroll">
      Top 20 birth places

#commonBirthPlaces:20#
      </div>
      Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
    Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.