Authorpab
Last activity5 months, 4 weeks ago
StatusOpen
Replies1
Voices2
Participantspab, kiwi
Actions
Tags

7.1, getClientIp, 3.2.3, bug reporting, progress, add missing death, json, 3.3.0, data errors, cookie, Add a wife, 3.3.3, icons, timeout, access level, links, repo, census assistant, individual resource, access roles, Php 7.1, Search and replace, burial, Georgian, MAC, resources, kiwitrees, 2.0, edit, custom, Support/Bug Reporting, charts, set link, Favourites, divorce, name, reports, 7.0, calendar.php issue, visitor, Export/Import, gettext, clipboard, Require visitor authentication, clippings cart, php 5.6, server, googlemap. modified, illegitimate, blank, help, relationships, sidebar, google, media, advanced, hover, sanity, role edit, BAPM

Kiwitrees on Twitter

Topic:   Common Birth Places list  

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      pabpab
      Participant

176 posts

The variable #commonBirthPlacesList# returns the Top 10 Birth Places.
      Can this be made more flexible to return, eg, Top 20, Top 50 birth places with a scrollbar?
      Such as common surnames can do?

Penguins Are  Boss

https://bootesgowland.kiwitrees.net

Happy to be hosted by kiwitrees.net

kiwikiwi
      Keymaster

1856 posts

Currently, no, the code doesn’t exist to do that.

“Common surnames” is a standard block. The #xxxx# variables for those were created to adopt the same options as the existing blocks.

Other statistical data elements such as #commonBirthPlaces# were only ever considered as just that, a list of statistical data.

However, I am currently working on the entire statistics code, to fix the problem of losing the Google Charts API (see: https://kiwitrees.net/forums/topic/statistics-charts/), and just adding an option to set the number of items in lists such as #commonBirthPlaces# is easy to add., So I will do that for the next release. Its use would be like #commonBirthPlaces:25#

Adding a scroll bar is not so easy. That works for blocks, like commonSurnames, because they already have the styling CSS in each theme to control their height and width. So a simple option to turn scrolling on or off is simple. To do the same for the lists like #commonBirthPlaces# would require at least additional options for the width and height of the containing element – as well as the “overflow: scroll” option – and I can imagine each use-case would want those to be different. The other solution would be to create “blocks” for all those as well, but there are just too many of them.

So I think, as presumably they are being embedded in an html block anyway, it would be easier for each site admin to wrap the #commonBirthPlaces# in whatever html element they want for it. For example:

<div style="height: 120px, width: 400px, overflow-y:scroll">
      Top 20 birth places

#commonBirthPlaces:20#
      </div>
      Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
    Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.