Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

Canada, locked out, .mo, simpl_research, Require visitor authentication, husband, simpl_grey, googlemap. modified, folder, index, 3.3.1, married, tools, login failure, clippings cart, individual resource, 3.3.0, gender change, custom, defacto, design, 500, I18N, GEDCOM errors, progress, updates, googlemap, contact, css, zend, sanity checker, logs, hover, Batch Updates, calendar.php issue, 2.0, google, language, random_media, close, internal messaging, webtrees, Relationship, advent, BAPM, Default record, fact, contact links, special character, block, 7.0, php 5.6, getClientIp, footer, styles, add, census, Favourites 3.0.0, 3.1, Support/Bug Reporting

Tagged: ,

Topic:   Colours theme on MAC computers woes  

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by macalter macalter 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

(Sorry, new thread as I couldn’t find existing)

I had 3 other Mac users try my Royals site and they have the same display “problem”. The menu icons are underneath the name bar using Colours (when logged in). Underneath the HTML block when not. Same too in Xenea. All are using Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and latest Safari. The attached is but 1 example

The-Royals-1

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 11.0;  Firefox 56.0
      [updated: 07 Oct 2017]

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

The only vaguely possible way I could address this would be if you provide the same image from each theme. If one of them does NOT show this effect I might be able to compare the code and suggest a correction to colors. You could also try the colors theme at a webtrees site to see if that has the problem.

Or, get your MAC technical guru to tell you / me what needs changing.

Alternatively I may need to add a warning to the downloads page that kiwitrees may not be suitable for use on MACs.

(ps – I deleted the previous discussion as it was unhelpful and confusing to others, wandered off into vague and irrelevant discussion about ipods/ipads etc, and never adequately addressed my requests for tests).

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

I’ve snapped the other themes shown below. Went to webtrees demo and set that to Colours and snapped. I trust you never have to exclude Macs. There’s a lot of Apple smartphones out there that would be affected too. Am I really the only Mac user you have?

First is your webtrees theme.
      theme-webtrees

Next was your Xenea theme.
      theme-Xenea

Now your kiwitrees theme.
      theme-kiwitrees

And as requested, went over to the webtrees site and used their demo file set to Colours. Will upload in part 2 as I think I’ve max’d out

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Attachments:
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

Here’s the capture from webtree’s site

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

Thanks. I’ll see what can be done either in the next release, or the one after. The webtrees comparison is useful. It points to a couple of features we have that they don’t which might be involved here.

Am I really the only Mac user you have?

Either that or the first to report this issue.

Nigel
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

Just for interest – have you tried it on any other web browser than Safari, on your same computer?

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

The site works in Firefox. But with default set at Verdana 18, it’s still small for me to use regularly for my sites.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

The site works in Firefox.

I thought that might be the case.

I think you have a custome css file in your colors theme (mystyle.css). Add the following lines to it, then clear your browser cache and refresh the page.
      This ‘might’ help in Safari, but may also break Firefox. If so I can find a better solution at next release.

/* flex adjustments */
      body {
      	height: initial;
      	min-height: initial;
      	display: block;

}
      #content {
      	flex: none;
      	ms-flex: none;
      	-webkit-flex: none;
      }
      Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

I added the code to mystypes.css . There one already there is for PLAC, that you gave me. It works fine now in Colours; not in webtrees; not in Xenea; okay in kiwitrees.

In Firefox, all themes work.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

OK. I should be able to add that in a way that doesn’t break other themes with the next release.

Meanwhile I’ll leave it up to you whether you retain that modification for now or not.

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

I’ll leave it in for now. Can always comment out if you have another snippet to test as you go.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

BTW, I have an open support call in with Apple for an issue with my upgrade. Because it involves screen sharing, I’ll see if I can have him look at the site and offer any suggestions as to cause. This maybe a few weeks as my case has been forwarded to upper level support.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

It works fine now in Colours;

vs.

I’ll see if I can have him look at the site and offer any suggestions as to cause.

These two comments from you don’t match. The first suggests, as I expected, that the cause has been identified and a fix found. The second seems to say the opposite.

I believe I have identified the cause, and I “thought” you had confirmed it. So is there still a problem?

(Note: I’m only concerned with the colors theme that you reported. The temporary fix I provided was not designed to cater for any other theme, browser, or operating system. But it can be eventually. That is why I explicitly asked that you add the code to your mystyle.css file in the colors theme. I deliberately did not mention trying it in any other theme.)

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

551 posts

Sorry, kiwi, I’ve misunderstood. I thought the code was temp fix and there was possibly something else causing the problems. yes, Colours menu is okay with the code.

I’ve noticed the tab feature you introduced isn’t working. >> this I’ll concede maybe an OS issue as it’s not working in Safari or Firefox.

Some of my titles for images appear strange. Instead of going across the block they go down narrow column. But, before going further, I need to investigate further. A test in Royals shows things working so I’m not clear what’s up.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1575 posts

Some of my titles for images appear strange. Instead of going across the block they go down narrow column. But, before going further, I need to investigate further. A test in Royals shows things working so I’m not clear what’s up.

Make sure when you do that you are comparing the same theme on each site. There are differences between themes. What you describe sounds like the correct display for the kiwitrees theme on the Individual pages > Facts and events tab.

I’ve noticed the tab feature you introduced isn’t working. >> this I’ll concede maybe an OS issue as it’s not working in Safari or Firefox.

In a previous post you said this:

Unlike previous OS, the Mac settings for whether to open new links in tabs or windows. I set to new windows This OVERRIDES kiwitrees settings for tabs. Quite interesting. I do not mind this (but was getting accustom to tabs)

So I guess all you need do is correct the setting so that new links open a new tab, not a new window. Otherwise you’ll probably effectively remove kiwitrees ability to edit data or at least make it extremely inconvenient.

Nigel
    Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.