Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

date, married, family facts, sidebar, F.A.B., login, source, Advanced search, children, .mo, add, googlemap, hover, configure, progress, button, php 5.6, media_links, dropbox. token, charts, icons, widget, design, FAQ, formatting, spam, person, translate, cousin tab, Histo, calendar.php issue, 1939 Register, menus, default individual, kiwitrees, tags, prison, advanced, fixing errors, webtrees 1.4.4.1, data errors, admin, multiple marriages, cookie, roadmap, set link, bug reporting, partner, search, family, colors, census assistant, abbreviate, research tasks, merge, surname, emigration, calendar, wish, updates

Topic:   Advanced search  

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by macalter macalter 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

544 posts

Wondering if it’s possible to have “NUmber of children” as one of the advance search option. Know it can’t be wildcard search (*) so at least be able to type 1-0 and find results.
      (1 would find 1, 11-19 and 2 would find 2, 20-29, etc)

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 11.0;  Firefox 55.0.3
      [updated: 22 Sep 2017]

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1496 posts

It’s already there. Use the “Additional fields” option below the standard table.

BUT be aware that the entire Advanced Search feature only searches against GEDCOM tags. So if you don’t record the number of children specifically using the NCHI tag nothing will be found.

Having to dynamically count the children in every family as part of a search is not practical.

An alternative is List > Families which does display number of children and can (if I recall correct) be sorted on that column.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

544 posts

I’m not finding – see “number of marriage” but not children. The order, to me, is bit random.

My code is 1 NCHI ## consistently. I’ve used it where there’s no detail on kids other than their names and maybe birth, and couldn’t find anything more than mention on their parents’ web page. Some though, I want to change, hence searching.

List > Families doesn’t differentiate between 1 FAMC #### and those grouped under 1 NCHI. I need to find such.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1496 posts

Keep looking, it’s somewhere near the bottom. It’s definitely there on mine, so will be on everyone’s. It’s not a configurable list.

I can’t remember the order and not able to check just now.

Nigel
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1496 posts

Keep looking, it’s somewhere near the bottom. It’s definitely there on mine, so will be on everyone’s. It’s not a configurable list.

I can’t remember the order and not able to check just now.

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

544 posts

My list – I’m not finding. When I type ahead it only stops at number of marriages. I know you’re busy with release. When I have a few moments I can send suggested change for consideration down the road.

advance1

advance2

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1496 posts

All my checks this evening are on version 3.2.0

It might be something I added to the latest version. Have you upgraded yet?

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

544 posts

Upgraded? is 3.2.0 released? Didn’t see post or mention on Admin page (if that happens or it was webtrees). I’m 3.1.1

If there’s doubt, then will wait for 3.2.0 and see if it’s there as it seems to trigger your memory.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1496 posts

Upgraded? is 3.2.0 released? Didn’t see post or mention on Admin page (if that happens or it was webtrees). I’m 3.1.1

You were emailed a newsletter about it on 26 Feb.
      Its on this forum under “Announcements”.
      There’s a blog post about it on this site, see the site footer area below.
      It’s mentioned on our Twitter feed.
      It’s described on the Downloads page.
      The Newsletter can also be read in the Newsletters page.
      Details are on the Change lists page.
      It is or soon will be noted on your site’s Admin page, but that can take a day or two.

It was released yesterday.

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

544 posts

Found Feb 25 notice 3.2.0 about to be released. So, I’d catch via the Admin page or someone’s post (email) that refers to 3.2.0, or something such as this — asking a question and hearing I’m not updated :),

I only visit the forum to reply as I read via email. Don’t do any social media whatsoever. And wouldn’t see Changes page until after I know there’s upgrade. Given your chatter, would have checked by end of week, or when I knew I had the time to do the prep work (full backup) /download and install.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1496 posts

OK, I’ve now had a chance for a quick brain-refresher in the office 🙂

There is a change in 3.2.0, but it won’t help in your case. NCHI is now included in Advanced Search for NEW trees. We never over-write your existing preferences.

To be included in Advanced Search NCHI must be on the list of “All individual facts” that is on Administration > Family trees > your family tree > Edit Options tab > All individual facts.
      (Note: it must be in the list of INDIVIDUAL facts, not Family, though it can be on both.).

That is the case with a new tree (unless you remove it), but not necessarily existing trees.

All of the Advanced search is based on individuals, not families, hence the need for it to be in that list. There are “family facts” available in Advanced search, but only those that are linked to the family from the individual record.

NCHI is one of a few facts (RESI is another) that can exist in EITHER FAM or INDI records. But they are not linked. You can have “2 NCHI 16” under an INDI, but “2 NCHI 10” under his FAMS record!

This of course allows for NCHI to reflect the number of children of the person across however many marriages he/she had.

But, to re-iterate, Advanced search will only find NCHI when connected to an INDI record.
      _______________________________________________________________________________________
      Regarding:

I only visit the forum to reply as I read via email.

Go to the Announcements forum on here and click “Subscribe” in the top-right. Then you’ll get an email whenever something like a new release is announced. I don’t over-use that area so you won’t be over-whelmed by emails, and most topics are locked so there no discussion to clog up your inbox either.

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

544 posts

I use NCHI with the Family record so Advance Search won’t work for me as you explain.

That said, I didn’t realize NCHI is both Indi and Family so, now I could say King X had 10 kids with his wife and 10 with his mistresses to mean HE had 20 kids total. I wondered about that. (Or, it could be the Queen…..)

I already use RESI for both.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.