Search
Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

gender change, road map, Default record, My Page, kiwitrees-nova, husband, server, contact links, colors theme, 7.1, 7.0, add, button, tags, edit menu, charts, PHP, internal messaging, 1939 Register, feedback, folder, 3.2.2, 3.2.1, not married, autocomplete, 5.6, datatables, future, source, json, surname, census assistant, ckeditor, xmas, zoom, 500, translate, Export/Import, fact, place, illegitimate, repo, sanity, 2.0.2, transifex, php 5.6, close, Favourites 3.0.0, performance, statistics, wish, relationships, help, googlemap, re-order, duplicates, BAPM, person, reports, clippings cart

Tagged: ,

Topic:   Adding a source to Stories module  

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author

Pablo
      Participant

4 posts

Hello everyone,

I would like to modify Stories module by adding a new field that will refer to a source table (kt_sources).
      I’ve added a new field like this:

I can edit that field and it saves values do the table “kt_block_setting” with additional “setting_name” that contains “Source ID”
      I wonder if there is any way to add autocomplete search like in the “Add new fact – Source” page

Have you ever done similar modifications?
      I realy appreciate your help,

Pablo

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1655 posts

Hi Pablo, welcome to our forum ๐Ÿ™‚

That should be just a matter of adding the input field the same as you see in the “Add new fact – Source” That is:

<input type="text" id="SOUR1510253573132271" name="text[]" value="" dir="ltr" class="SOUR ui-autocomplete-input" data-autocomplete-type="SOUR" autocomplete="off"/>

The important parts is: data-autocomplete-type=”SOUR” That is all that is needed to have the autocomplete code search the sources list.

The autocomplete=”off” is optional. It prevents the browser from using its own type-ahead style of autocomplete.

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info

Pablo
      Participant

4 posts

Thank You! ๐Ÿ™‚ It works.

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1655 posts

Pablo

Can you tell us more about the way you are using the Stories module? No-one has suggested including a source reference for these before. Perhaps with an understanding of your use-case, it might be a feature others would like. In that case, I can add it permanently to the code.

Nigel

Pablo
      Participant

4 posts

I use the Stories module to store extended notes and connect them with already existing sources and my own data which was added to separate tables. I found it very convenient ๐Ÿ™‚ I use autocomplete to get ID’s by typing a certain phrase like at the attached screenshot

Attachments:
      kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1655 posts

Hi

I did look at the possibility of adding it as a feature after you first mentioned it.

But I quickly realised it is not really practical. There is a major problem with the way you use the stories module. You say you are using them to store extended notes. Notes are a standard part of the GEDCOM specification and common to all family tree software, but “stories” are not. If you export your family tree as a GEDCOM file to share with anyone, or to transfer it to any other software you will lose the stories. They are only a feature of kiwitrees and not compatible with any other software.

The correct way to extend notes is to use the “shared notes” feature. That is part of GEDCOM and exists to allow notes to be shared among many other records (individuals, families, etc).

Stories are quite separate. They have their own way (“footnotes”) built in to allow the addition of source references, in the same way typing a document in MS Word does.

Nigel
    Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.