Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

transifex, cookie, kiwitrees, index, zend, random_media, admin, immigration, image, dates, simpl_research, inactive, spam, charts, 500, messaging, menus, place, resources, birth, internal messaging, Advanced search, shared note, ID notes, media_links, xmas, editor, googlemap, datatables, icons, css, relationships, themes, bug, installation, media, IE11, BAPM, request, tools, Fancy imagebar, beta, html, individual resource, Support/Bug Reporting, blank screem, multiple marriages, links, simpl_grey, close, title, roadmap, check, folder, feedback, autocomplete, search, descendant, advanced, road map

Topic:   _COML  

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by kiwi kiwi 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

550 posts

I’m using common law marriage for two people who had an affair, with child (use of this tag isn’t the issue!!).

The edit window has “Common Law Marriage” field and I’m not sure what entry is expected. It’s just above the date , place, address…. fields that I expect.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI
      mySQL server: 5.1.56
      MacOS: 10.11.6  (El Capitan)
      Browsers (mac): Safari  Version 11.0;  Firefox 56.0
      [updated: 07 Oct 2017]

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1547 posts

I’ve never used it (didn’t even know it existed).

I suggest you put something in the field, then see how it displays. That will give you an answer to what you might want to use it for. It doesn’t matter what you enter, as it’s just a plain text field. So I guess the only answer I can fully give is “it’s whatever you want it to be”.

BUT, I recommend you think carefully about whether yo use it first. Any tag that begins with an underscore (“_COML”) is not standard GEDCOM. therefore, as your query already points out, will not be well supported by some software, and not at all by others. I think it would be better to use the “TYPE” sub-tag part of the standard “MARR” tag. That is certainly what I do.

(Note: after checking I can see it is one of the many unofficial tags invented by the Brother’s Keeper software because they couldn’t be bothered using GEDCOM as intended. That sort of approach is why GEDCOM now has such an unnecessarily bad name for consistency).

Nigel
      My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

550 posts

“test” that I typed appeared underneath her COML spouse. Too bad the tag is custom tag (understandable given the origins), preferable for these situations.

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1547 posts

What is the problem with using MARR_TYPE?

(See attached.)

I suspect you are going to say “but it doesn’t include “Common law marriage”. 🙂

There are three options for that:
      1 – You could decide to use one of the existing types as a proxy. Perhaps “Registered partnership”.
      2 – You could use an existing type and add a custom translation to change it to “Common law marriage”
      3 -You could ask me to add “Common law marriage” as a new option in that list. (I’d rather do that than see you use _COML)

Nigel
      Attachments:
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

550 posts

I’ll take door #3 please 🙂 That will be best option, I think. (Can’t say I’ve heard the term Registered partnership used as alternate for common law.)

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1547 posts

I’ll take door #3 please

What a surprise!!

I actually assumed you would and made the change before you replied. Its a simple change. and makes sense. It would be nice to also remove ‘_COML’ but that would be an issue for anyone moving from Brother’s Keeper, and I wouldn’t want to discourage that!

Sadly it’s not a change I can give you easily in advance of the next release. But 3.0.1 won’t be long now.

Nigel
      macalter
      macalter
      Participant

550 posts

The next release is find. I’ve not been updating my main site due to schedule so that’s fine. (I’m playing with the royals that I have in 3.0, occasionally.)

-----
      Kiwitrees:
      "A-D connections 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

"The Royals 3.3.1"
      PHP 7.0 Fast CGI

kiwi
      kiwi
      Keymaster

1547 posts

OK, but I do recommend you upgrade your main site to 3.0.0 before the next upgrade. Best to do it in stages.

Nigel
    Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.