Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

edit, seo, php 7, BURI, 1939 Register, search, .mo, translation, permissions, tabs, lists individuals families, bug reporting, Batch Updates, journal, logs, I18N, BAPM, configure, backup, gallery, googlemap. modified, login failure, tab, users, pages, session, 3.2.2, release, translate, media, children, access level, transifex, album, 3.2.3, custom, title, name, 3.1, edit menu, 2.0, IE problem, type, Favourites, not married, survey, stories, advanced, kiwitrees 2.0.2, fatal error, error, merge, locked out, menus, MYSQL, fact, mail, Relationship, birth, login upgrade

kiwi
    kiwi
    Keymaster

1447 posts

Clearly it’s not a major concern but is it a bug?

That depends on your definition of a “bug”. The current design of messages is pretty much unchanged since PGV days. I can’t confirm, but believe this “odd” duplication has always been there. So by my definition it is “designed” rather than a bug.

But that doesn’t make it right of course, and I agree with your question.

Messaging overall is something I am working on for (hopefully) the next release. So the duplication will disappear as part of that process.

For information there are a few issues behind the messaging sub-system re-write:

• The current “php_mail” library has issues with latest PHP versions, so needs to be replaced.
    • The code for messaging is extremely convoluted so needs to be simplified.
    • Part of simplification will be to remove the internal storage of messages (sorry Ron, but the response to this subject a few months ago showed you are the only kiwitrees site actively using it 🙁 ) Existing stored messages will not however be deleted. Up to you what you do with them.
    • I anticipate removing ALL the messaging type options and just defaulting to “kiwitrees sends messages without storage”.
    • There will be a clear option for each user to opt out of receiving emails (except system generated ones like new passwords etc). (i.e. the current “Preferred contact method” = “none” setting
    • The currently broken html mail option will be fixed by changing the library used. (https://kiwitrees.net/forums/topic/sending-mail-using-html/)

Nigel

My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info