Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

menus, dropbox. token, 2.0, event, media, message contactform, seo, github, php 5.6, internal messaging, mobile, gettext, charts, clippings cart, spouse, kiwitrees 2.0.2, kiwitrees, emmigration, follow, BURI, white screen, reports, pdf, themes, type, GEDCOM errors, immigration, links, backup, access level, login upgrade, survey, footer, margin, help, CREM, source, multiple marriages, Relationship, html, tab, Support/Bug Reporting, data errors, repo, 1939 Register, blocks, person, ckeditor, errors, new feature, census assistant, calendar.php issue, redirect, marriage, Canada, Default record, server, REFN, birth, 3.0.0. setup

kiwi
    kiwi
    Keymaster

1545 posts

Marion

Actually thinking some more about this, you can’t even do what I was suggesting.

The application of privacy is a bit more limited. You can privatise level 1 objects (INDI, FAM, MEDIA, SOUR, REPO, NOTE), in which case they are hidden wherever they would appear.

You can privatise facts (for specific individuals), like birth, death, marriage etc. But you can’t go done to the next level, so you can’t for example privatise a source just from a birth.

I would challenge your basic concept though, if you don’t mind. Is it actually good, or useful, to display ANY source data to casual visitors? Its far easier to just suppress all source details.

The arguments against showing sources are are generally two:

1 – “Tree farmers” who visit just to “steal your data” will seldom credit you with all the hard work you have put into quality research, full source referencing etc, so don’t give them any more than you need to. They are going to take it anyway.

2 – Not putting it there might encourage visitors to start a dialogue with you (“Where did you find that fascinating fact?”) and thereby hopefully add to your data.

Just a thought?

Nigel

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info