Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

formatting, fancy image bar, IE problem, themes, Favourites, googlemaps, getClientIp, contacts, .po, missing data, tab, timeout, widget, links, kiwitrees 2.0.2, pop-ups, BURI, request, watermark, xenea, googlemap, census assistant, abbreviate, 7.1, ckeditor, theme, calendar.php issue, clipboard, php 5.6, translation, individual resource, husband, type, last change date, media, seo, Require visitor authentication, tabs, 3.1.1, login, Google Maps, immigration, new feature, library, 3.0.0. setup, 3.3.1, I18N, sanity checker, block, backup, logout, style, family, logs, inactive, responsive menus, prefix, 500, 3.2.2, redirect

kiwi
    kiwi
    Keymaster

1575 posts

Paul, thanks for your feedback. Similar in some ways to everyone else’s, which is comforting.

In a similar situation, using only tabs (no popups), I would use ctrl-tab instead of alt-tab. Ctrl-tab cycles through the tabs in a single browser window (from left to right) just like alt-tab cycles through windows. That is reasonably consistent across (windows) browsers. Then each browser has it’s own enhancements for things like skip-to-last tab / re-open last closed tab / move-tab, etc (see “Switch between tabs” for more info)

When transcribing census data I usually set ancestry.com to its own browser window, with tabs for both their transcribed page and the census image as I find it helps to work from both.That browser window is docked to the right-side of the display, and the one with kiwitrees open docked to the left.

If the kiwitrees one had an edit tab (instead of edit pop-up window) you woulld simply alt-tab to switch from ancestry to kiwitrees; and ctrl-tab to switch between the tabs within in each window.,

This avoids the confusion I often get with windows moving around in the ‘stack”, and sometimes hiding my popups.

… and am [slightly] concerned about developers developing for/on 27″ screens!!

🙂 Don’t be concerned. I don’t think any developer (especially not this one) would be developing FOR 27″ screens. However I know very few who wouldn’t need to develop ON one (or even two or three simultaneously). Bear in mind that development often requires windows open for up to 6 different browsers at a time!

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info