Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

HTML block, updates, contacts, burial, clipboard, F.A.B., edit, colors theme, children, album, CHR, simpl_pages, bug reporting, fact, translate, emmigration, 3.0.0, redirect, administration pages, immigration, colors, fancy tree view, pdf, access roles, database, Add a wife, zend, editor, Support/Bug Reporting, permissions, FAQ, order, margin, Canada, hover, media_links, request, 3.0.0. setup, cookie, CREM, progress, timeout, backup, spouse, inactive, chart, Default record, 2.0, custom text, feedback, birth, getClientIp, 3.0.0 widgets, autocomplete, errors, 3.3.2, sanity checker, Advanced search, datatables, configure

kiwi
    kiwi
    Keymaster

1575 posts

My main page looks good in the test.

Thanks Jamie

My main page looks good in the test.

Not when I test it, it fails on the usual four things “Text too small to read / Links too close together / Mobile viewport not set / Uses incompatible plugins”:
    jamie
    But you must remember that the Google “Mobile-Friendly Test” has two important limitations:

1. It is a test of only one page, not a whole web site. Different pages have different results.
    2. It hows the result as “How Googlebot sees this page” not as how a real visitor sees it. The difference can be important.

For your site, I think you might need to read about “Dynamic Serving” to help Google understand you use “a spec. theme which open if you use cell/tablet

I did look at a separate theme, but it really is not the best solution, and in real terms it is not much different to simply having mobile-only css for an existing theme. Also, it does not help prevent your site getting lower search engine results.

In fact the BEST solution is a completely separate mobile application. This is the solution the ancestry.com uses. I would love to do that, but I have neither the expertise, the time, not the money to achieve that.

Apart from simple things like menus and the Home page, the real issue is the old-fashioned layout of many pages in kiwitrees (many now nearly 15 years old). They rely very much on rigid fixed-size tables, so cannot adjust for different window sizes below that of a small laptop (1000 px wide).

Therefore my aim is to fix the major issues with mobile-only css, while very slowly reviewing and improving the underlying structure of each page to allow them to adjust better to screen sizes. Where that is not possible, then on mobile devices only some features might need to be removed.

I do not intend to compromise the desktop use of the system, because I still believe, like Roy, that the desktop is still the primary place to use complex software like this.

Nigel
    My personal kiwitrees site is www.our-families.info
    Attachments: