Forums
Kiwitrees on Twitter
    Tags

simpl_grey, kiwitrees, spam, php 7, ckeditor, partner, Default record, I18N, version, xmas, Extra menus, bug reporting, living, lists, users, permissions, date, title, library, ASSO, sidebar, cousin tab, autocomplete, xenea, icons, Batch Updates, installation, googlemaps, name, fact, custom modules, emigration, server, editor, research tasks, default individual, contact links, transifex, privacy, 1939 Register, timeout, simpl_pages, re-order, resources, login failure, cousins, My Page, watermark, data errors, surname, css, blank screem, merge, bug, kiwitrees 2.0.2, fancy tree view, danish, 3.2.3, session, IE problem

Grimpel
    Participant

42 posts

Well, but that’s the problem. Running into parallel unconected place hierarchies. E.g. “Eisenach” Set up more than a dozen entries?

Maybe I could handle that if i had only three stages like “Lambeth, Middlesex, England” but even today the official german “place hierarchy” is:
    Deutschland, Bundesland, Regierungsbezirk, Kreis, Gemeindeverband, Gemeinde.

And more worse: A “Gemeinde” might be pretty small e.g. “Pfullingen” or huge e.g. “Berlin”. Berlin is a Bundesland AND a Gemeinde defining the same area. So I would have to split that up again, difining urban districts and boroughs:

Deutschland, Bundesland, Regierungsbezirk, Kreis, Gemeindeverband, Gemeinde, Verwaltungsbezirk, Ortsteil.

Transforming german historical place “ladders” into current place names? May have odd results: A bunch of german ancestors is not born in Germany anymore, but in France, Switzerland, Poland or even Russia. If I keep the historical names I have to set up different german place trees, e.g. starting with different top levels like “Deutsches Reich”, “Bundesrepublik Deutschland”, “Deutsche Demokratische Republik” etc. That’s a lot of work and my ancestors are splitted up again.

And how to handle governmental <-> churchly place names? Somestimes I know the parish name, somestimes the village name. But the same name identifies quite different areas.

The only somehow working german place db I’ve found is: http://gov.genealogy.net/search/index

How to put that in GM module?