Some tips about the minimum requirements you need to use kiwitrees
To install and use kiwitrees the system requirements you need are:
- Apache and IIS are the most common types. There are no requirements to use a specific type or version.
- Approximately 65MB of disk space for the application files, plus whatever is needed for your multi-media files, GEDCOM files and database.
- PHP 5.6.0 or later. Note that many web hosts offer *both* PHP5 and PHP7, typically with PHP5.6 as the default. If this is the case, you will be able to switch between the two using a control panel or a configuration file. Refer to your web host’s support documentation for details. For best performance, we recommend PHP 7+
- Note: From kiwitrees 3.3.3 and above we have confirmed that PHP 7.1 (up to 7.2.4) works well. PHP 7.2 also works, but there are deprecated function errors present. If you configure PHP with “display_errors” = off, then these will not be seen and will not cause any problem running kiwitrees. They will be fixed in the next release.
- PHP must be configured with the PHP/PDO library for MySQL. This is a server configuration option. It is enabled by default on most hosts. See http://php.net/pdo
- PHP should be configured to allow sufficient server resources (memory and execution time) for the size of your system. Typical requirements are:
- Small systems (500 individuals): 16-32MB, 10-20 seconds
- Medium systems (5000 individuals): 32-64MB, 20-40 seconds
- Large systems (50000 individuals): 64-128MB, 40-80 seconds
- MySQL 5.0.13 or later. Note that kiwitrees can share a single database with other applications by choosing a unique table prefix during configuration. If the number of databases is not restricted, you can set up a database purely for use by kiwitrees and create a separate user and password for only your genealogy.
- Maria DB, to at least version 10.1.21, has been thoroughly tested with latest versions of kiwitrees. This is an excellent alternative to MySQL.
A compatible internet browser.
- Kiwitrees supports the use of most current versions of open-source browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. We will do our best to support others such as Opera and Internet Explorer, though not their earlier versions.
- Kiwitrees does NOT support Internet Explorer versions older than IE8, and even that receives no active development effort. We strongly recommend anyone using these obsolete browsers upgrade as soon as possible. We are also aware that IE and Opera browsers provide poor RTL language support generally, so cannot recommend those for sites requiring RTL languages.
- To view sites that contain both left-to-right and right-to-left text (e.g. English data on Hebrew pages), you will need to use a browser that provides support for the HTML5 dir=”auto” attribute. At present, only browsers based on the WebKit engine (Chrome and Safari) have this. The Gecko (Firefox) and Presto (Opera) engines promise to provide this soon.
Have your say!